• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for advice on shoes

johnalia

Reaction score
Reaction score
Moi,

The first pair is a derby (shoe with open lacing) which is a much better option than the more classic oxford with closed lacing when it comes to pairing with semi casual outfits.

However, buying a derby in suede is even better for a casual style.

johnalia

Reaction score
Moi! Kiitos paljon for your reply :D and for the suggestion. Just a quick question can derby in leather (say brown) be wear under jeans or not?

Thanks again.

Nitrogen

Reaction score
Terve!

The derbies are more casual, thus more suitable to wear with jeans. In general, brown color is a more casual option for shoes (when compared to black). The second pair of cap-toe oxfords could probably work as well, but it would be better if it had even a small strip of broguing in the toe cap.

Overall, if your budget allows you, I would invest in a pair of quality leather shoes (which those do not represent).

johnalia

Reaction score
Terve!

The derbies are more casual, thus more suitable to wear with jeans. In general, brown color is a more casual option for shoes (when compared to black). The second pair of cap-toe oxfords could probably work as well, but it would be better if it had even a small strip of broguing in the toe cap.

Overall, if your budget allows you, I would invest in a pair of quality leather shoes (which those do not represent).

johnalia

Reaction score
Thank You Nitrogen,
Did you mean quality leather boots or shoes? Can you please share some images and budget isn't an issue. Those links I shared were just an example. I am looking for two pair of shoes which I can use under dress pants and chinos as well as under jeans.

Thanks again.

Panama

Reaction score
The first pair look cheap and cemented, the second pair look better and appear to be Blake construction.

geg_gee

Reaction score
Terve!

Terve!

As a novitiate, can I ask what's not so nice about the second pair of shoes, and what might be preferable?

Verve

Reaction score
Nitrogen is correct. Derbies for casual wear, and I would suggest a dark shade of brown because it will give you more versatility. You’ll thank me later as you expand your wardrobe. I would lean towards no suede as your first pair of dress shoes unless you plan to be very casual with all your outfits.

TexasToast

Reaction score
I agree the first pair of shoes are awful and the second pair are much better. You want shoes that are going to last for a while and are not disposable. If you cant afford a quality pair of shoes Id save up for some. Beckett Simonon has great shoes for the price and I cant afford really expensive shoes but these are nice you should check them out.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Thank You Nitrogen,
Did you mean quality leather boots or shoes? Can you please share some images and budget isn't an issue. Those links I shared were just an example. I am looking for two pair of shoes which I can use under dress pants and chinos as well as under jeans.

Thanks again.

Zalando mostly sells cheap fashion brands - terrible value for the money, they wear out very quickly and can look terrible after a month or so. Also, once the sole wears out, it can't be replaced and you have to throw the shoe away. For (relatively) affordable quality shoes (where the sole can be replaced), you could start looking at the following:

Skoaktiebolaget (their own line of derby shoes).
The Noble Shoe
Skolyx
Myrqvist

All of these operate out of Sweden, so transport to Finland should be managable. They run from about 250 dollars (the cheapest skolyx lines and Myrqvist to 400ish (Skoaktiebolaget and some offerings from The Noble Shoe) to much higher for the custom, hand made models The Noble Shoe offers. I have a pair of suede loafers from Skoab and they're probably my most worn pair of shoes. All of these links are to the derby shoes offered - the more formal oxford shoe (the style you linked in your second example) is a shoe traditionally worn with full suits, and I don't recommend wearing them with chinos or denim.

Unlike some posters, I would say suede is a great idea. It's formal enough for anything cept the full business suit and tie (and even then, you can make it work), it looks better with casual trousers, and it's actually a much better material for northern Europe; suede just need to be waterproofed every couple of months (buy a can of Saphir water proofing spray, they cost about 15 dollars) and brushed up every now and then. Quality leather need to be polished regularly, and salted roads can seriously damage how they look. Despite what many people say, suede is actually a fairly durable material, and I know a lot of well-dressed people who wear suede exclusively for the winter months in Stockholm.

A final piece of advice: stay away from tan shoes and go for medium-to-dark brown. Tan shoes look great in pictures, but when worn as part of an outfit they tend to stand out more than you might like. I'm not saying you can't wear tan shoes, but they shouldn't be your first pair of nicer leather shoes.

Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads