• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for advice on quality shoes.

rooock

Reaction score
Hi guys I came here while researching Bacco Bucci. Turns out people here hate them.

I guess I am pretty novice when it comes to quality shoes - I know ferragamo, tods, mezlan but I couldn't put those in order of quality. I am curious as to what one should know about higher end brands, as far as I'm concerned I look over most gucci versace hugo stuff in favor of specific shoe makers.

What I am specifically looking for right now is a dressy brown shoe, that will look great with jeans or dress pants. It has to be comfortable.

I liked mezlan austin ostrich shoe but they are out of my price range at $400.

my budget is around $200.

thank you

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For that price area you're pretty much stuck with Johnston & Murphy or whatever you would find at Macy's, Zappos, or the like. None of these will be considered "quality" on this forum. The minimum quality anyone here will talk about is Allen Edmonds or Meermin.

jeffd

Reaction score
Try the current Brooks Brothers sale. They have a handful of Allen Edmonds for $209. Those are on the casual side, but may be O.K. depending on what you need. If you can go to $260, then their selection expands quite a bit.

rooock

Reaction score
I pretty much fell asleep looking at allen edmonds... I don't work in the office - need something dressy that is casual with a rubber sole and that is comfortable to dance in. Brown/no laces.

rooock

Reaction score
Anyone can put quality shoes in order from top to bottom please? I never even thought something made in USA is better than something made in italy unless it's bombs..

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I pretty much fell asleep looking at allen edmonds... I don't work in the office - need something dressy that is casual with a rubber sole and that is comfortable to dance in. Brown/no laces.

You've contradicted yourself a few times. If it's dressy, it's not going to be casual, and good shoes usually don't come with rubber soles (why do you want a rubber sole?). What kind of dancing are you talking about? I mean, right now I'm thinking your best option is something like this:

http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1933

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
1. That would look terrible with dress pants.
2. You are in the wrong forum.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously?

What could you possibly wear those with that wouldn't look terrible?

Chase H's suggestion of a Meermin suede single monk is a pretty good one! Dressy but casual enough for jeans, no laces, rubber sole, I suppose you can dance in them. Also, you keep asking about ranking shoes in order. It's not really that simple. wurger's Black Cap Toe thread breaks them down into three levels though, plus he reviews additional makers such as "Carmina, Meermin, Vass, Saint Crispin's and Bestetti." Perhaps his ranking of brands will at least give you a rough idea of levels of quality.

Even within individual brands quality of different lines can vary. For example, Ferragamo makes some very nice shoes in their Tramezza line, some ok shoes in their Lavorazione Originale line, and overpriced glue-jobs in their Studio line.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads