• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for advice on buying first suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MangoMan

Reaction score
Hey everybody, so I am in the market for getting a suit or 2 and honestly I have no idea what I am doing. I got an internship at an investment bank for this summer and need to step up my game. I'm not sure what size I should get, or even what style/color. I tried on a few today to get an idea of what I should be looking for. Here are some pictures to go off of. Any advice or pointers on what I should be looking for or how these fit would be awesome. Side note - I realized once I got home how not-so-great the pictures are. Hopefully they are still useful!

This is a Tommy Hilfiger suit - 42 Long

42 Long

42 Regular

42 Regular

44 Regular

44 Regular

If it helps I am 6ft tall and weigh about 220. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, so I am in the market for getting a suit or 2 and honestly I have no idea what I am doing. I got an internship at Goldman Sachs for this summer and need to step up my game. I'm not sure what size I should get, or even what style/color. I tried on a few today to get an idea of what I should be looking for. Here are some pictures to go off of. Any advice or pointers on what I should be looking for or how these fit would be awesome. Side note - I realized once I got home how not-so-great the pictures are. Hopefully they are still useful!

This is a Tommy Hilfiger suit - 42 Long

42 Long

42 Regular

42 Regular

44 Regular

44 Regular

If it helps I am 6ft tall and weigh about 220. Thanks in advance!

The size 44 definitely fits better, both through the shoulders and through the torso.

One thing to consider is the angle of the arm. Right now, the fit is decent, though not perfect. When you stand, let your arms fall to your side, naturally. If there is any pulling at the shoulder that creates a crease, the angle needs to be corrected, or you just need to choose a different suit.

What is your budget? That will help us answer your questions more precisely.

MangoMan

Reaction score
I'm hoping to keep it around 200 US dollars if possible. Kinda cheap I know but money is tight right now.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm hoping to keep it around 200 US dollars if possible. Kinda cheap I know but money is tight right now.

At $200, your best bet is just looking in different department stores in your area....e.g., Macys. If you can bump that up to about $400, then I would definitely take a look at Suit Supply. Your two color options should be grey or navy. Focus on the fit. Feel free to share more pictures and we'll provide feedback.

MangoMan

Reaction score
Awesome, so I just ordered one online from Jos A Bank, I went with a grey 43 regular slim fit suit (I sweet talked the online customer rep and got an 895 dollar suit for 150, although nobody pays full price there). I'll be sure to post some pictures when it shows up and get your opinions. If it's a no go then I'll return it and go check out my local Macy's and see where I'm at.

MangoMan

Reaction score
The suit I bought online showed up today, and here is what it looks like. I feel pretty good about how it fits, but what does everybody else think? I need to get the butt let out a little on the pants and I was thinking I would also need the torso brought in some. Should I keep this suit or send it back and keep looking? It only cost me 150 USD, I was pretty happy about that price from Jos A Bank. I would love to get some criticism if warranted or advice on what I need to get altered if this is something I should keep. Thanks!

ursman

Reaction score
I was reading the posts in order and was going to suggest going with a 43 if possible. The 42 is slightly snug... and 44 gives you more room. If I was going off the rack I would definitely go with a 44 and alter accordingly.

Here's where you went wrong though...

You should have kept the Long. The regular is a bit too small for you. Sleeves come too high and the waist is hitting too high as well.

As a general rule - you want the bottom of the jacket length to fall where your knuckles fall when your arms are relaxed at your side. Right now your jacket is hitting your palms. Another rule is that you want your sleeve length to hit the top of your thumb knuckle. That pic of you in the Tommy 42 Long is a good basis to go by.

I have found, over the years, that I prefer my sleeves a bit higher to show a bit more of my shirt and watch....... but that comes with time and when you discover what your preferences are.

$150 is a great price for a first suit. If you have some Jos. A Banks locally - I would suggest visiting as you can frequently get multi buy offers. 2 suits for $200. I would respectfully decline their offers to alter the suits for you... and take them to a local tailor. They frequently get their money back on the alterations. $40-$50 for hemming is obscene.

MangoMan

Reaction score
Ahh that's too bad it's too short, I didn't get any feedback so I took it in to the tailor. Hopefully it works out after I get it back! If not, I know what to look for in my next suit. Live and learn I guess. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads