• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for advice on buying a first suit

suitmeup

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been doing a lot of research but this whole process is pretty intimidating. I'm looking for a nice suit for law school interviews this fall. Never bought a suit before.

I'm 6'2" 175 pounds. I'd definitely like to find something with a slim/european fit. I think with my height I would be an L.

I believe my measurements are 39'' chest and 32" waist. So I from what I'm reading that is a pretty deep drop. I'm not sure about the measurements though because I did them myself. Would you recommend going to a tailor and getting measured professionally before buying something? Since I am a 39 does that mean I should go with a size 40 or 38?

I was hoping to spend not much more than 600. Seems like the best deals are online (Sierra Trading Post?), although I am nervous about buying a suit for the first time without trying it on first. Any advice on brands, styles, fitting or where to do more research would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
Where do you live? Best bet is to try some on and see what you like, and what size(s) you are. If you aren't sure about sizing maybe go with suit separates. Lands End is pretty decent for the money for a first suit.

suitmeup

Reaction score
I'm around Philly. Seems like all they have is Boyds which is too expensive and then the Man's Warehouse and Jos Banks that everyone hates on.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers. Try on Black Label and 1818 Fitzgerald or Regent and see what you think. You have time, and while both are more than $600 at full retail, there will be sales later in the summer. Search for those suits on this site and you will get a lot of background on how they are made and how they should fit on you. Most people here (myself included) think they are the best options for slimmer guys.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'2" 175 pounds. I'd definitely like to find something with a slim/european fit. I think with my height I would be an L.

I believe my measurements are 39'' chest and 32"
I'm 5'11" 145 pounds. And I wear a 40 in a jacket and that fits about right. That said, wouldn't you need a suit larger than a 40 or 38 at your size?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on his shape and the spots he holds the weight.

kaczmar2

Reaction score
If you walk into a RL or BB brick-and-mortar, the Black Label suits will run in the range of $1900-$2100 at full retail, and BB 1818 will run you about $1000 full retail; at least they do in my area.

Best to wait for sales if you can.

suitmeup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
I'm 5'11" 145 pounds. And I wear a 40 in a jacket and that fits about right. That said, wouldn't you need a suit larger than a 40 or 38 at your size?
Yeah honestly I'm surprised at what my measurements turned out to be. But I've done it a few times and it really is pretty consistently hovering around 39" Although I am using a tape measurer (all I have), so maybe that is throwing the numbers off?

bobbers

Reaction score
Go to Franklin Mills and try Neiman Marcus Last Call and Saks Off Fifth. NMLC is having a 20% off your entire purchase sale now until April 13. I don't know if that particular Off Fifth has gets a good selection, but the one near carries some RLBL suits.

suitmeup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobbers
Go to Franklin Mills and try Neiman Marcus Last Call and Saks Off Fifth. NMLC is having a 20% off your entire purchase sale now until April 13. I don't know if that particular Off Fifth has gets a good selection, but the one near carries some RLBL suits.

Great thanks. Those RLBL suits look amazing. Perfect for what I'm looking for. But so expensive. I don't think I could swing that.

The Brooks Brothers Regents look pretty nice too. I'll definitely head out to Franklin Mills. Would you all recommend navy or charcoal for the first suit?

bobbers

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the Black Label suit at the Saks Off Fifth near me was priced at either $599 or $699 and then sometimes they have 20% everything sale as well. Either that or a "buy one get next item 50% off" is a common sale they have also. But if you see something at this store that fits you and price is right, don't hesitate and grab it.

Are you sure about waist 32 -- are you measuring at your hips or your waist? Even for 6'2" 175 that number seems awful small to me, but perhaps you carry you weight differently.

spence

Reaction score
You sound like you're built exactly like my 18 year old stepson. Narrow waist, small chest and very broad shoulders?

If so good luck
wink.gif

-spence

suitmeup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobbers
I forgot to mention the Black Label suit at the Saks Off Fifth near me was priced at either $599 or $699 and then sometimes they have 20% everything sale as well. Either that or a "buy one get next item 50% off" is a common sale they have also. But if you see something at this store that fits you and price is right, don't hesitate and grab it.

Are you sure about waist 32 -- are you measuring at your hips or your waist? Even for 6'2" 175 that number seems awful small to me, but perhaps you carry you weight differently.

I measured around at my naval. Too high? If it were at the hips it may be a 34.

I called Saks Off 5th to ask about sales. She was pushing Hugo Boss. That's not as quality as the others mentioned?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boyd's isn't the only high quality men's clothing store in Philly. Check out Wayne Edwards (1525 Locust Street). It's a fantastic high quality men's clothing store, much smaller than Boyd's but still with a great selection (Isaia, Kiton, Corneliani). Wayne and the other SAs are really very nice and helpful yet don't pressure you into buying things over your budget. There is also the Ralph Lauren store at Broad and Walnut. I picked up a Black Label suit there for a very nice price recently. Unfortunately, the sale is over, but it's worth a visit.

I'm also a little surprised at your 32 waist, given your height and weight. I'm 6'2" ~165lbs and I usually wear 34 or 33. Perhaps you're just more muscular than me! The RLBL suits have a drop of 7 inches, so they should work for you.

suitmeup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Boyd's isn't the only high quality men's clothing store in Philly. Check out Wayne Edwards (1525 Locust Street). It's a fantastic high quality men's clothing store, much smaller than Boyd's but still with a great selection (Isaia, Kiton, Corneliani). Wayne and the other SAs are really very nice and helpful yet don't pressure you into buying things over your budget. There is also the Ralph Lauren store at Broad and Walnut. I picked up a Black Label suit there for a very nice price recently. Unfortunately, the sale is over, but it's worth a visit.

I'm also a little surprised at your 32 waist, given your height and weight. I'm 6'2" ~165lbs and I usually wear 34 or 33. Perhaps you're just more muscular than me! The RLBL suits have a drop of 7 inches, so they should work for you.

I've never been there but I think Wayne Edwards would be out of my price range.

I am having a hard time figuring out if it is possible to find a canvassed suit for around 600. I really like the look of the Black Label so I'm hoping I can find a deal on one of them. Are they canvassed?

I will be going to the outlet stores tomorrow (so I'll see if I was right about the 32 waist). If someone could give me an idea of whether or not it is possible to find a canvassed suit, a zegna or canali or something of that sort for 600 I would appreciate it.

Thank you very much for all the help everyone. I'm trying to read up on the old threads as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads