1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for advice from Porsche owners...

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by DerekS, May 18, 2012.

1. junior varsity

junior varsity Senior member

6speedonline is a good porsche forum

2. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

There's a difference in reasonable and prudent speed and reckless 145+ MPH in traffic...

3. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

doesnt sound like a lot. but then i realized i paid about 100 a year on my lexus. i wrestled with this for a long time. In the end, its worth it to me. Ill buy a toyota later.

4. junior varsity

junior varsity Senior member

a lexus doesnt drive as well as a porsche and the golden rule is if you want better... you gotta pay to play
    :nodding:

5. stevent

stevent Senior member

Thanks will look into it

Yeah although you have to pay extra if you want a used lexus compared to most other cars (not necessarily porsche). But compared Lexus to BMW or MB there is definitely a prepayment for lower maintenance fees

6. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

the older i get the quicker i learn this hahaha

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

A great resource for this is Excellence magazine. Every few issues, they will have a comprehensive breakdown of an older Porsche and how hard and expensive it will be to maintain. They just did this for the Cayenne recently, and it's a relatively trouble-free vehicle, but it does have certain things you have to take care of before things get out of hand. They also have a column where people write in how much they paid for a used Porsche and they give you their opinion on whether that was a good price based on the vehicle's condition.

Look on their website for info on how to order back issues. They're still in the stone ages, so expect to use stamps and write checks:

http://www.excellence-mag.com/back-issues

The issue you want is #188 December 2010. For Boxster shoppers, they did a similar guide in #187 November 2010. For those worried about RMS/IMS, look at #185 September 2010.

You can also look at their 987/986 buyer's guide, which is online:

http://www.excellence-mag.com/resources/buyers-guide/1035392063

Good luck! I love the 1st gen Cayennes.

8. stevent

stevent Senior member

Thanks! Will order one today

9. hypoluxo

hypoluxo Member

Nice pic on tumblr. A Radiomir fan, no less! Following you now.

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

11. FUMAO

FUMAO Well-Known Member

Just wanted to bump this thread and hear from any Cayenne owners.

I am in the market for buying my first car. Just for the record i'm very late to the game and not a teen :) as I have lived in big cities with great public transport my whole life and never needed a car, but I now have a 10 month old baby and have moved to a smaller city which makes driving a necessity. Anyway.... a 2nd hand Cayenne looks perfect to me. I have a budget of around $12k as I want to pay in cash and not go down the credit route.

So a few questions about the car (and buying a car in general).

- Is there anything potentially troublesome I should be looking out for specifically when looked at used Cayennes?
    - Should I rule out any with excessively high mileage? How high should I max out for a car that is 9-10 years old?
    - Are those yearly maintenance costs still about right?
    - Should I look at an BMW X5 (or any other luxury SUVs) instead? (i mean for VFM and ongoing costs)

If there are any Cayenne owners on here (especially those with 2004-2006) i'd love to hear your thoughts on the car, both positive and negative!

12. Aneil4lom

Aneil4lom Senior member

If I could have afforded it, I would hold out and buy a Macan.

13. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Senior member

I'd be very careful buying a Cayenne in that price range. It will be very hard to get a good Cayenne in your price range in Canada, especially at this time of year. The compromises you'd need to make could mean the car will turn into a money pit. One thing people tend to forget when shopping for used cars is that the repair costs and parts tend to be commensurate to the original MSRP, meaning that while you're only paying a fraction of the new cost now, the brakes, servicing, windshields, etc all still cost like they're on a $80k SUV.

If you insist on a Cayenne, make sure it comes with a stack of records and get it inspected before you buy.

I would recommend something Japanese and more modest for now, keep your ownership costs low and think about moving into a Cayenne in a few more years.

14. ArnimFritsch

ArnimFritsch Member

Hi All, I love this thread. I'm considering buying a used 911 in the foreseeable future. I'm attracted to the 996, but have heard horrible things. Soooo, what's real? Is it actually the ticking time bomb they say?

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Please for the love of god don't buy a used cayenne with a budget of $12K.

Do you really have to have a porsche?

16. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The 996 is the most reviled 911 in history (I would say worst, but that introduces an element of subjectivity). I don't know if it's objectively less reliable, but it definitely has the worst residual value of any 911

17. FUMAO

FUMAO Well-Known Member

Macan is not an option right now, I just want to pay cash and $12k is going to be my max as I will really only be using the car for short trips for groceries and the occasional trip back to Toronto (about 90 mins away) within the next year or so.

Couple of things I should point out too,

- I am not in Canada anymore, I moved to the US.
    - I know Japanese/Korean cars are more more reliable and cheaper to run etc but i'm European and want a European car
    - I also know that the cost of maintaining a Porsche is comparatively high, but I can afford those costs - I just can't afford to spend an extra $10k on a newer version right now and don't want to wait a year before I buy something I actually want.

I am going back and forth as to what is best out of the following (with Cayenne still being preferred).

2003-2005
    Porsche Cayenne
    BMW X5 or X3

BMW 3 Series
    VW Touareg

18. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I'd check out the 2003-2005 Porsche Cayenne consumer reviews on Edmunds if I were you. Some scary stuff in there.

Same with the X5.

I think you'd get a lot more value with less maintenance headache from a 3 series or perhaps a Lexus RX if you're set on a SUV.

19. stevent

stevent Senior member

If you can't afford the $10k now what if you get problems totaling $3-5k first year on car? Does that mean you sell? Doesn't make sense if budget is so limited.

I didn't end up getting a Cayenne as driving one to work would have been inappropriate, kinda happy I didn't though the money sunk into a e31 wasn't much better

X5 has ridiculous problems too, relative had rear windows stop working and dealer said he didn't use rear windows enough so it's his fault :lol:

3 series might be best best but still at $12k budget I don't see the value or it

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  20. FUMAO

FUMAO Well-Known Member

Who said I can't afford the $10k now. As I said have budgeted $12k just for the purchase of a car - maintenance and insurance I have budgeted separately from that.

Seeing as everyone is trying to make me steer clear of an early Cayenne, what other European cars would people recommend in this price range?

What about a 2004 BMW 7 series? Other than not a great MPG, the reliability seems good?

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/R...&make=BMW&model=7-Series&trimid=98520#VIP_TAB