Looking for advice before splurging for an IWC Portuguese Auto

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ranker, Aug 14, 2009.

1. ranker

ranker Senior member

Well, I'm about to make the jump into the midrange market for watches.

I've fallen in love with the IWC Portuguese Auto after yesterday's random impulse visit inside of Tourneau. Before I do something stupid and purchase something that's $6k+, I'd love to get some information on what to look for and perform the necessary due diligence.

I've searched through threads but its hard to get concise information. The only thing that's stuck to my mind is the tidbit about how the current economic climate has devastated the mid range market for time pieces. However, when I brought that up with the sales person at Tourneau they laughed and stated no such thing was occurring.

I guess my next questions are:

1) Can I get a better price than $6k from a reputable dealer?
    2) How well do these models hold their value?
    3) How much in maintenance costs should I expect?
    4) Where would be the best place to purchase this model?

Thanks in advance to all the time piece gurus who can help a neophyte out.

2. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

$6K? Is that the price of a Port Auto these days? I've assumed its around 8k, and the Port Chrono is at 6k.

3. sfo423

sfo423 Senior member

regarding value, they are readily available in 90%+ condition for well under $4k on TZ & others.

Nice looking watch.

4. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I think he was talking about the Port Chrono.
    $6K? Is that the price of a Port Auto these days? I've assumed its around 8k, and the Port Chrono is at 6k.
    +1
    regarding value, they are readily available in 90%+ condition for well under $4k on TZ & others. Nice looking watch.

5. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

Tourneau is well known for the hard sell and high prices, not discounts. In this climate, I'd press for 30% off. In the good old days, IWC could be had at 40 off. Find an out of state dealer to save sales tax and keep the negotiations to phone calls. That works to your advantage.

6. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Tourneau is best avoided other than to browse and even then the salesdroids are so irritating it's probably not worth it.

Zeetan at Collector's Time has Port Chronos listed for $4890 on his website.
    Lots of other places have that price but Zeetan is well known and reliable.
    Sure, he's grey market but every watch I've bought from him has been pristine with a stamped warranty card from an authorized dealer.

7. Tidybeard

Tidybeard Senior member

I've been eyeing up a Port Auto (5001-07) for a while now. Here in the UK the list price is £7000. Can get 20-25% discount with a bit of effort but still at $6k I'll take every one you can send me[​IMG]

8. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Tourneau is best avoided other than to browse and even then the salesdroids are so irritating it's probably not worth it.

Sure, he's grey market but every watch I've bought from him has been pristine with a stamped warranty card from an authorized dealer.

+100 on Zeetan.

Back in my crazy collector days he was my go to guy.

9. Confucius

Confucius Senior member

I believe someone is selling a (rather beautiful) white dial blue hands Porto in our very own B&S forum...

10. Albern

Albern Senior member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn

Thanks for suggesting Collector's Time; he has a few pieces I've been wanting to get.

Any other sites similar to that? I've heard Time Zone is good as well but have yet no first hand experience.

11. sfo423

sfo423 Senior member

Ummm, so your unhappy with your purchase? Did you try to work it out w/seller or are you just want to bash him first?