• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a white crushable fedora, and a white Country Gentleman-style driving cap

Eschaton

Reaction score
I'm looking for a white crushable fedora, preferably of wool felt. I'm having some trouble finding one online - the ones I see are either braided, lined, not crushable, or not snow white. I'd like one that is just plain solid white, with no visible lines or designs in the fabric.

This hat on ebay seems to be like what I'm looking for, but is off-white. And this fedora is snow white, but stiff rather than crushable.

Another hat I'm looking for is a white wool Country Gentleman-type cap. Like what the US Olympic team wore at the 2008 games. I've found ones that are braided or lined, but not solid white like those.

Anyone know where I could find either of these hats? I've been looking for a long time using search and Google Shopping, but haven't found ones yet that match what I'm looking for.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eschaton
Anyone know where I could find either of these hats?

Try typing in "white flat cap" into the Google. You may want to talk to a hatter about the fedora. They can order them with different colored bands, although they might not have crushable ones.

Is there a reason you need one that is crushable? Are you going to roll it up and put it in your back pocket?

Eschaton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
Is there a reason you need one that is crushable? Are you going to roll it up and put it in your back pocket?
Thanks. I prefer crushable because they can be molded. I have a non-crushable fedora, but don't like the way it feels or fits.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd be better off directing your queries to these folks.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I prefer crushable because they can be molded. I have a non-crushable fedora, but don't like the way it feels or fits.

Molded? You don't mold hats, you block them. Any good quality fedora can be blocked again and again.
The hats you are looking at are cheap and look cheap
frown.gif

ranker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Molded? You don't mold hats, you block them. Any good quality fedora can be blocked again and again.
frown.gif

Where should one look then and how much would it cost? I'm also looking for one.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a white crushable fedora, preferably of wool felt. I'm having some trouble finding one online - the ones I see are either braided, lined, not crushable, or not snow white. I'd like one that is just plain solid white, with no visible lines or designs in the fabric. Another hat I'm looking for is a white wool Country Gentleman-type cap. .
Ok the first one, crushable fedoras that actually regain their shape after being crushed tend to be more of a country wear item, at least in the UK. They don't look as smart as a proper fedoras, I have an 100% wool felt number that I have used for hiking for years and it is great, but not terribly smart. Try searching for country wear websites, I can't recommend a specific one as I have never used one, I am not sure you will find one in white. By country gentleman type cap I think you mean flat cap, you will find these on country wear websites as well, again I don't think you will find one in white and even if you can you shouldn't buy it. Tweed or grey/navy/black wool.

Eschaton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
You'd be better off directing your queries to these folks.
Thank you
smile.gif
I'd been looking for hat specific forums but searching for "hat forums" or "fedora forums" only got me IT stuff.
Originally Posted by mr monty
frown.gif

Well cheap is good
smile.gif
Especially since I'm probably not going to wear the hat more than a couple times. Also it is a personal preference thing; I have a more expensive non-crushable black fedora as well as a crushable one I got for under $50 at Macy's, and I prefer the crushable one. If someone has a more expensive non-crushable design to recommend though I'd certainly look into it.
Originally Posted by youngscientist
By country gentleman type cap I think you mean flat cap, you will find these on country wear websites as well, again I don't think you will find one in white and even if you can you shouldn't buy it. Tweed or grey/navy/black wool.
I already have a black one, I'm looking for a white one to match some other clothes. I really liked those ones the 2008 US Olympic team wore.
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Et voilà :

http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Cotton_...rida-P127.aspx

Thanks, though the linen design isn't quite what I'm looking for. I think I might order this Kangol cap; it doesn't look quite as white as I'd like but it's the closest thing I've found so far.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately you bought at Macy's. Most quality hatters can shape and fit a fedora (or order one that fits your shape better) to your head. On average my fedora's last about 10 years (daily use), often longer if I take care of them and have them cleaned and blocked.

Eschaton

Reaction score
Unfortunately you bought at Macy's. Most quality hatters can shape and fit a fedora (or order one that fits your shape better) to your head. On average my fedora's last about 10 years (daily use), often longer if I take care of them and have them cleaned and blocked.
I meant that I bought the crushable one at Macy's. The non-crushable one was bought from an online hatter. It fit OK, I just didn't like the way it felt as opposed to the crushable one.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant that I bought the crushable one at Macy's. The non-crushable one was bought from an online hatter. It fit OK, I just didn't like the way it felt as opposed to the crushable one.

Okay, gotcha. If you pass by a brick and mortar hatter you might want to bring the other fedora in to get it shaped for a better fit.

ranker

Reaction score
Okay, gotcha. If you pass by a brick and mortar hatter you might want to bring the other fedora in to get it shaped for a better fit.

Do such places even exist in Southern California? More specifically, Orange County?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ranker
Do such places even exist in Southern California? More specifically, Orange County?

You could try Village Hat Shop in Long Beach... http://www.villagehatshop.com/

There's white wool fedora by Golden Gate Hats and several in straw.

For a white flat cap, check out the Newsboy hat selection at the link I gave you, there are several options you may like.

Also, I have a crushable fedora by Country Gentleman that I got at Macy's as well and I like it very much. Mine is brown and it gets lots of compliments and looks good. Sure, I could pay more, but for under $50 I'll stick with the one I have.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads