• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking for a watch--- wedding present for groom

orangehorizon

Reaction score
ok, not really a wedding present! it's an engagement present--- we are getting married next year (summer 2013), but for now we are having an engagement party, which is sort of a cultural tradition....big engagement party, the woman gets an engagement ring, the man gets a watch. it's also all supposed to be from the parents. so this is a gift to my fiance from my parents.

my fiance prefers formal dress watches, with leather wristbands (black or dark brown leather), simple/pared down black or white faces, thin watch hands, and minimal branding (no in-your-face logos).

keeping his criteria in mind: i really like the junghans x max bill. http://www.mrporter.com/product/327395 it also seems affordable and good for an engagement gift, as they'll likely get him something else for the wedding.

but as i have less than two weeks now to get this done--- where can i buy this watch, or something else fitting his criteria for a watch in toronto? i just don't have the time to be spending trolling the malls looking for something, or to order online.
my parents were actually supposed to make the purchase, but they have a different aesthetic, and were not quite able to find the watch that i told them my fiance would wear, so i have now taken it upon myself to find and purchase this present. within the next two weeks.

thank you!!!!

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, let me congratulate you on your wedding and give you credit for honoring an old tradition. Since you deem $1200 affordable, let me steer you to (in my opinion) some better choices that can be had (with both a steel bracelet and a black leather strap) for around ~$800. It also probably has the same Swiss ETA mechanical movement. Some friends and I actually gave this watch to a friend of ours when he got married, he really likes it. It has a display caseback and is 40mm in diameter, a very standard dress watch size for men.

Hamilton H32665131

You can purchase a leather band for it and the jeweler can put it on for you. The band would look like:

A second, interesting choice for around your $1200 budget is the Longines Silver Arrow. It is a little less water resistant and does not have a sapphire crystal (but rather hesalite) for a more vintage feel:

orangehorizon

Reaction score
gauss,

thank you for your recommendations! i really like the hamilton.
my parents have a budget of $1400, but obviously the cheaper, the better.

do you know of any reputable jewellers in toronto? i have never purchased a men's dress watch before, and at this point, with so little time left until the engagement party, i just want to go to somebody who knows what they're talking about.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please check your private messages, I am not sure if I am allowed to post vender prices and such here.

Anansi

Reaction score
Check out Nomos. They make some if the nicest dress watches around at around 1500-1800usd

Saltricks

Reaction score
I love my junghans max bill that I just got. They are around 1050 here. Go to the max bill website and use the locator to see if you have a vendor by you. Really recommend the watch as a cheaper version of the nomos, which i haven't seen for under 17k. They both have that bauhaus minimalist style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads