1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a watch for daily wear

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Macintosh, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Biggie_Robs

Biggie_Robs Senior member

all the watches previously recommended are inspired by the german b-uhr watch. and with that $500 budget you can opt for Laco which has history and part of those 5 german watch co. commissioned to manufacture the pilot watch (IWC, wempe, stowa, A.lange & sohne and laco)

check the flieger classic Type-A
    [​IMG]

With regard to Laco, who makes a fine watch, my preference is for the type-B dial:

[​IMG]

2. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

What is that? I want something like that, for school and such.
    seiko 5 military SNZG15J. bigger than normal military ones, for those with bigger wrists.
    With regard to Laco, who makes a fine watch, my preference is for the type-B dial: [​IMG]
    and where to kop Laco? ebay? preferably with international shipping.

3. tiijei

tiijei New Member

^what seiko is that? thats nice. have to agree with seiko for affordable daily wear.
    That seiko (the one that you pointed) looks like a custom SKX-007 using dial and aluminum ring insert from mk2 watches. And I believe that looks like a sailcloth strap.

4. steviecakes

steviecakes Senior member

not my pic, but a modified seiko SNK809 with new hands and face done by a guy from the watchuseek forums whose username there is yobokies. i got one after seeing a member here with one. i call it my poor man's sinn 656. it cost me $128 if i recall correctly.

[​IMG]

5. hiei

hiei Member

biggie_robs,
    those are nice type-Bs and a thing with them, they are not as prevalent as type-As. though once you got the either one of them you're bound to get the other to complete the set.

pronxs,
    you can:
    a. go straight to laco's website
    b. email peter pfeiffer (laco's brand/design manager) to order custom pieces.
    c. http://www.timequestwatches.com/id6.html has a promo right now on those type-A classic for $495.

6. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

That seiko (the one that you pointed) looks like a custom SKX-007 using dial and aluminum ring insert from mk2 watches. And I believe that looks like a sailcloth strap.

spot on. it's my first seiko, the build quality is really impressive. there's more weight to it on the wrist than either my sub or speedmaster.

7. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

8. Robert

Robert Senior member

9. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

preference for mechanical or quartz movement? regardless, i wouldn't spend over $200 on a quartz watch while i don't own a hamilton i really like some of them and they have a good reputation this one is great i'm also a big fan of the seiko black monster which is the perfect beater, everyday watch , IMO it can also be found for around $150 with a little patience

10. sq4you

sq4you Senior member

Ahem...

[​IMG]

lol. what a piece of shit.

you going to recommend a Swatch next?

get a Tag Heuer F1. they are like 500 exactly.

11. Lynx_the_one

Lynx_the_one Senior member

Is there an advantage to an automatic vs quartz? Aside from it keeping worse time?

12. nonissue

nonissue Senior member

hey man don't hate, it's probably from j.crew, so it's alright.

13. tiijei

tiijei New Member

Is there an advantage to an automatic vs quartz? Aside from it keeping worse time?

The movement? Automatics have a more fluid like movement, some have 5 (lower end seiko's have 5), eta usually has 8 bps.

14. Biggie_Robs

Biggie_Robs Senior member

Search the internet and you will find the answer, my son. I might suggest Google, but practically any search engine will suffice.

15. Razele

Razele Senior member

all the watches previously recommended are inspired by the german b-uhr watch. and with that $500 budget you can opt for Laco which has history and part of those 5 german watch co. commissioned to manufacture the pilot watch (IWC, wempe, stowa, A.lange & sohne and laco) check the flieger classic Type-A [​IMG]
    I have wanted a Flieger for ages, was going to go with Laco or Stowa. Probably would keep it on a steel grey nylon NATO most of the time, chunky leather isn't for me. Will do the burberry wrap strap as well, I love it. (Bring the hate)

16. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

Based upon the question, probably not for you.

17. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

lol @ prevailing SF ethos of 'wannabe corporate bigtimer'. my friend runs one of the biggest hedge funds in Europe, and often wears a watch very similar to this. it's a really nice design, much better than the F1 IMO

18. Razele

Razele Senior member

Tag watches are terrible.

19. Robert

Robert Senior member

Ha ha, I just might at that! LMAO at the pretentious wannabe watch ballers here. More $$ isn't always better.

20. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

Tag watches are terrible.

Hard to generalize that much. I have an Aquaracer limited edition that I like a lot. Some Tags utilize Zenith movements.

To each his own, I guess.