• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a very specific Double Monk Strap shoe. (I'm extremely picky)

jjjjeremy

Reaction score
Since last April, I have dedicated myself to finding the perfect double monk strap. I have dedicated countless hours to browsing the internet in search for this shoe, and would not be surprised if I have looked at over a hundred pairs. Many have come close, but, none are just right. I am sure that many of you can understand.

For the most part, the shoes that I have seen buckle near the top of the foot, which looks a bit too dainty for me. I am looking for a shoe with buckles on the side of the foot, almost touching the sole.

Also, because the straps are generally high up on the foot, the strap itself is not large enough for my taste. The strap I am looking for goes pretty far down the foot, almost to the ball. Ideally, the strap is not so much a strap, but a large leather flap that goes over most of the top of the foot with two (maybe three!) buckles.

As well, I am not necessarily looking for dress shoes. I want to be able to wear these shoes every day, for years to come, and go through many soles. The leather has to be pretty heavy. I want to be able to walk through orchards, clean stables, go for a horse ride, and then brush them off as I clean up and go to dinner.

Color and price are not much of an issue. I plan on buying a pair in both black and brown, if/when I find them.

I hope you guys can help me out. If I can't find them within a year, I guess I'll just have to go out and get them made.

Attached is a small drawing I made a couple months back.

Cheers,
Jeremy

satorstyle

Reaction score
You won't find anything with those specifications, you'll need to go bespoke.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're wasting your time searching for this because it doesn't exist. Go bespoke and save yourself a year.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These buckles are probably too high, but your description made me think of these Bontonis:

bontoni.png

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
These buckles are probably too high, but your description made me think of these Bontonis:

bontoni.png

Those multiple buckles still remind me of the nipples of the goddess Artemis:

ephesus_artemis_selcuk.JPG

Naturally, these were the first thoughts to come to mind when I saw a marble figure of Artemis in a museum recently
blush.gif

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you want to wear the hell out of them, going bespoke might be a good investment. I would like to see some pics if you get them made.

jjjjeremy

Reaction score
It's a paper-store Waterman I got when I was living in Paris. J Herbin Rouge and Mont Blanc Sepia for the two inks. Lately I have been writing with my Pelikan M600 I got from Richard Binder, with a cursive italic .7mm nib, using Noodler's Apache sunset.

jjjjeremy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
You're wasting your time searching for this because it doesn't exist. Go bespoke and save yourself a year.

well, I have seen them before, on a cousin of mine. He doesn't have them any more, though, and doesn't remember the brand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads