Looking for a versatile dress shoe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by blue123, Jul 5, 2012.

1. blue123

blue123 Well-Known Member

I am not in a super conservative environment. I already own a pair of black interview/funeral shoes as well. I also own a pair of decent dark brown cap toes that I wear with my slacks. I wanted something nice that can be both casual and work friendly. I know that finding one to cover everything is next to impossible. I actually picked the two at the top since I can get both a good price on sale. I saw the Mccalister, however I am not sure if that is too dressy to go with jeans????

2. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

definitely would say a balmoral rather than a blucher... bal's look 100x better with a suit IMO

my walnut strands from AE look just as good with a nice pair of jeans/casual pants as they do with my suits. Also, if you want black, i tried these on with jeans a few months ago, and i gotta say, pics do not do them justice. They look really nice, and i'm sure they will look equally as good with dress pants as well.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/magnann...origin=category&fashionColor=&resultback=1779

I also have the AE mccallisters in merlot, but i have yet to wear them with jeans. i feel the wingtip and merlot color put them more towards the "dress pants" side, however i have no doubt with the right outfit, they can be worn in a more casual manner, its just a more serious looking shoe than the strand

3. Zaeon

Zaeon Member

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

who says that? the rules?

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

argh, not at all. been there, done that, got the shirt.

6. Mariooo

Mariooo Senior member

I said "probably".
    Out of the two posted shoes, the AE are actually nice and will work.
    #1 and jeans? with skinny and very tapered ones, if he likes this look .umm... yeah, otherwise.. not really...

But I got the impression he will use the shoes more for jeans/slacks and wearing suits rather sporadically, ergo my advice for derby
    IRL only few people will notice the difference between open/closed laces on dark shoes (unless the trousers probably have little or no break)

Agreed, there are a lot of factors which will determine the versatility of something

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  7. blue123

blue123 Well-Known Member

So number 1 is going to be tougher to pair with jeans due to its elongated look? Does anyone have any pictures of strand with jeans? I just want to get an idea if possible...I also like the look of the shoes below, I know they are generic...

[​IMG]

8. UglyJoe

UglyJoe Well-Known Member

My eyes! No, I'm sure it can be done - almost anything can be done. But if you are wearing jeans and just decide to throw on some black cap-toe oxfords you are probably going to look a little silly, no? Much less likely than with a medium to light brown oxford, IMO.

9. thinman

thinman Senior member

Brown monkstraps, double monks, or chelsea boots are extremely versatile. They're not strictly "correct" with a suit, but I don't know of any single shoe that is versatile enough to be optimal with everything from jeans to a suit (maybe a wholecut, as was mentioned earlier).

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

not at all.

11. Buddha25

Buddha25 Well-Known Member

I got the strand, I love it! Looks great with dark jeans and dress pants. I just picked it up today before I head to the beach. They are a bit stiff, I guess they need to be broken in?

12. jon54

jon54 Member

I'd definitely go for the black cap-toe and plain-toe oxfords that I regularly use in the office.

13. lestyr3

lestyr3 Active Member

If you already have relatively formal black and brown pairs, then why not try

1. Cordovan/Oxblood colored wingtips (goes with more than you think; that's my most-used shoe and my office is trousers-no-jacket)
    2. Brown suede oxfords (closed lacing if possible, though not necessary)
    3. Leather chukkas (NOT suede)

Alternatively, take Thinman's suggestions - as he says, there's nothing that'll go flawlessly with everything (and wholecuts are typically quite expensive - the only one I've seen for less than $400 was Shipton & Heaney).

BTW check out the Mr Porter shoe sale right now, they'll have a few things that'll fit the above bill

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

FWIW, if I'm not mistaken, oxfords always have closed lacing. Bluchers have open lacing.

15. lestyr3

lestyr3 Active Member

True, not arguing.

It's just that so often bluchers/derbys are described as oxfords in the description when you go shopping for them - makes me want to pull my hair a little bit when I see that.