Looking for a versatile dress shoe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by blue123, Jul 5, 2012.

1. blue123

blue123 Well-Known Member

So I am actually on the hunt right now for a nice pair of shoes to wear both with jeans and with slacks/suit. I know this is a very tough task to accomplish. I have been looking at two shoes in particular, but I just want to see if anyone has any experience with build/quality of these shoes. Also how difficult would it be to match them with jeans and/or slacks. Again I know its all a matter of personal taste...

http://www.parkandbond.com/the-intersection/features/anatomy-to-boot

or

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6105_1_40000000001_-1

2. Mariooo

Mariooo Senior member

you probably want to look at open lace shoes for this kind of double duty :confused:

3. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

+1. Bluchers/Derbys would be better for what you are looking for. Maybe even a penny loafer.

4. blue123

blue123 Well-Known Member

Any recommendations? Looking for a brown or a walnut color.

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

not really.

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

nr. 2

7. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

[​IMG] Something like this, in this color or a darker brown. If Berluti is out of your price range then you can find similar ones from Sefano Bi, which is also the company that makes for them unless I'm mistaken.

8. schrag

schrag Well-Known Member

I think you're on the right track with wingtips/broguing. My first pair of Aldens were these guys:

[​IMG]

The brown suede works well with jeans, khakis and even grey or navy slacks. Even with the closed lacing I find they work well casual, as long as the pants are trim, maybe cuffed.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

9. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

Allen Edmonds Mcallister

10. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

strand looks great with jeans.

11. gooter

gooter Senior member

+1

12. Lord Mulberry

Lord Mulberry Senior member

It depends on the cut and colour of your clothes. If your jeans are dark blue, maybe black or dark brown shoes. If they are faded I'd go for light tan or red shoes, but that's just me. I like to try and balance my shoes with a complimentary colour of shirt.

13. UglyJoe

UglyJoe Well-Known Member

I disagree here. This follows one of the "rules" (closed lacing = formal, open lacing = informal), but I find that in most cases closed lacing looks better with formal wear and ok with casual wear, while open lacing typically looks gaudy with formal wear and better with casual. As such I find closed laced shoes to TYPICALLY be more versatile. Honestly though, I feel it has much more to do with the rest of the shoe (brogued, semi-brogued, etc.), as far as how versatile the shoe is.

I own and wear AE Strands in walnut with basically any long pant from suit to jeans, but they aren't catch all. For more formal situations (funerals, interviews, etc.) I go with a black closed laced shoe, which simply doesn't work with jeans or casually. No one shoe is going to do it all for any situation, even if it matches the suit you are wearing.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

14. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Do you work in a super conservative environment (bank? law firm? insurance?). In this case you will not get around black straight cap-toe or plain-toe oxfords, which would look crappy with Jeans.

Else either a wing-tip (example 1) or a half-brogue (example 2) oxford or derby in a medium brown will cover the whole range. Go for whatever you like better and make sure the shoes are of decent quality such that they last a while. Enjoy!

15. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

I'm a fan of the AE Player's Shoe in Walnut, which are probably the most versatile shoe I own. I'm wearing them today, as a matter of fact, with a light grey suit.

[​IMG]