• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Looking for a versatile coat for rainy days and normal days

ansetou

Reaction score
Hi, I work in a bank. I normally wear dress shirt and dress pants in the office. I'm looking for a good light coat to wear to on top of those. Ideally something with a hood and made of water-proof/resistant fabric to be worn on a rainy day. The cut needs to be slim. Length could either hip or thigh.

I found this arc'teryx jacket which has a black one that fits 90% of my requirements. I like its snorkel hood and its generally simple design. My biggest complain of it is the color is too plain and the design is too sporty for my use case. Plus the texture of the fabric is a little too smooth.

Another choice I like is this one from mission workshop. It fits 95% of my bill. I particularly like its fabric, functional and with texture.But, again, it's a bit too plain, too serious.

Anyone have any other brand I can look into?

papado

Reaction score
Hi, I work in a bank. I normally wear dress shirt and dress pants in the office. I'm looking for a good light coat to wear to on top of those. Ideally something with a hood and made of water-proof/resistant fabric to be worn on a rainy day. The cut needs to be slim. Length could either hip or thigh.

I found this arc'teryx jacket which has a black one that fits 90% of my requirements. I like its snorkel hood and its generally simple design. My biggest complain of it is the color is too plain and the design is too sporty for my use case. Plus the texture of the fabric is a little too smooth.

Another choice I like is this one from mission workshop. It fits 95% of my bill. I particularly like its fabric, functional and with texture.But, again, it's a bit too plain, too serious.

Anyone have any other brand I can look into?
Norwegian Rain's 'single breasted' model might work for you but could fall into the latter 'too plain' depending on how you view it.

WSW

Reaction score
Try Veilance, which is Arcteryx's minimalist line designed for city/office wear.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
With a dress shirt and trousers, why not wear a simple trench coat or mac?

I’ve never seen a synthetic coat with hood that didn’t look goofy as heck with any but the most casual clothes

ansetou

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'm looking into them.

I thought about trench or mac but I'm too lazy to carry umbrella. :tongue:

ansetou

Reaction score
Btw, what are people's thoughts on mission workshop? How's their fabric and workmanship? It seems they only have a store in San Fran so not very easy for a new yorker to try it out.

WSW

Reaction score
Btw, what are people's thoughts on mission workshop? How's their fabric and workmanship? It seems they only have a store in San Fran so not very easy for a new yorker to try it out.
Innovative fabrics on their outerwear. However, I personally view their design choices as a bit bland and flat. They usually also stick to blacks and grays, which can be boring.

norMD

Reaction score
Private white vc has several options. You can also look into swims and Scandinavian edition. Almost every sports brand and clothing brand has something like you describe.

ansetou

Reaction score
Private white vc has several options. You can also look into swims and Scandinavian edition. Almost every sports brand and clothing brand has something like you describe.
The Scandinavian edition urban in grey looks nice. I can't tell from their pictures how the fabric texture looks like. And it's sold out. I guess I'll wait for next season. Thanks for the recommendations.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 85 17.5%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 155 31.9%
  • 8”

Votes: 141 29.0%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 55 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 25 5.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.3%