• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a Three-quarter Length Coat

kiLLscaLLion

Reaction score
I'm trying to think ahead to fall/winter and start doing research on a three-quarter length coat...hoping to spend less than $700. What are some of the better choices in terms of price for quality?

rogerm

Reaction score
That's a loaded question. There are great buys everywhere today. You can find a $4000 for around $700, if you're patient. Or are you looking for a specific 3/4 coat (has to be charcoal/3button/etc..)?

kiLLscaLLion

Reaction score
You're right, I should've been more detailed. More specifically, I'm looking for a charcoal, three-buttoned, conservative peacoat.

kiLLscaLLion

Reaction score
Okay, I upped my budget to around $1,000. What are some recommended brands for this price range?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Look at nitro's offerings on ebay. He's got lots of great NWT Isaia overcoats under $1k.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Look at nitro's offerings on ebay. He's got lots of great NWT Isaia overcoats under $1k.
Isaia would be a great choice. I've seen some nice ones by them over the last couple of years.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiLLscaLLion
hoping to spend less than $700.

Vicuña!
j/k

To expand on this a bit (with apologies to the OP), what sort of 3/4 topcoat -- both styling and make -- is the best and most classic (save anything exotic such as the above-mentioned), given a very liberal budget? Just as Burberry designs the classic trench, who makes the most classic topcoat, and in what style? I too have thought about Isaia, but I have no experience with their outerwear -- plus I feel I can afford better. I'll repost in another thread if this feels like hijacking.

Enfant

Reaction score
I suppose you are looking for a carcoat?

Emporio Armani usually has some deconstructed ones that are slightly south of a thousand dollars.

Personally I have three pieces of 3/4 coats as they are rather versatile. The one in the picture is from Donna Karan purchased many years ago--for $350 or so. It is a winter coat best worn on top of a shirt, and a rather minimalist ones as the buttons are hidden.

There is an Italian brand that makes an all-weather 3/4, trench and top coat for men...I cannot remember the name now but perhaps our italian friends here can advise. They have a shop in Florence as far as I can remember, and maybe one in NYC too. They employ a modern fabric that is waterproof, light yet the cut is more formal than poncho like.

3/4 coats are perfect for fall...Try Burberry...I think they have a different but related line making thin, elegant cashmere based carcoats (start with P...Burberry something...). But I suppose they are also quite expensive.

kiLLscaLLion

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to start surfing Ebay for these brands. I'm really looking for something warm to wear over my suit when the bitter winter comes.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

kiLLscaLLion

Reaction score

I've been checking out his topcoats...seem to be exactly what I wanted. Has anyone had experience with how warm they are?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics