• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a slim fit harrington style jacket

LRS

Reaction score
I am looking for a really slim fit (tight even) black harrington style jacket in black to wear this spring. I'm 5'11" and about 140 lbs, and wear a 36 jacket and 30 waist. I have looked at the Baracuta, merc, and Warrior harrington jackets but they just don't seem to be what I am looking for. I'm really not crazy about the plaid lining as it won't really match the rest of the look I'm going for. I saw in the latest GQ a jacket by Hickey but it was really out of my price range (pretty sure it was over $500). I want one that is water repellent so I can wear it without worrying about getting soaked during the wonderful April showers, but can make do with one that is not. I would really like to be able to wear it with dark jeans, tucked in white dress shirt, and a narrow black tie during the cool summer nights for going out to bars and clubs. I'm willing to spend anything below $200. I usually have a lot of my clothes altered so if I can just buy a Baracuta or merc and have it slimmed down (specifically in the sleeves) that won't be a problem but I didn't know if a tailor could do anything to such a casual jacket?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a Harrington at the moment and the Baracuta G10 looks pretty slim

LRS

Reaction score
Yeah I've seen the G10 and slimfit G9, but the G9 doesn't look slim enough for me and the G10 has a logo on it. Personally, no article of clothing should have a logo.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
eh ... the logo doesn't bother me cause there is no way on gods green earth anyone in Australia will recognise it

otherwise I understand what you mean ... would not pick it up if it was a polo player or crocodile

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm waiting on a G9 slimfit right now. i did notice a lacoste harrington at dinner tonight. STEER CLEAR!!!!!!! it was ugly as ****. granted, it was on a chubby computer tech support dude, but it probably wouldn't look good on anyone, anyways.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
ok look, if you want a tight fitting jacket, a harrington is NOT THE RIGHT JACKET. by design they arent meant to be tight. they are supposed to have some looseness to them, there are plenty of cotton jackets out there that fit tight but harringtons do not fit like that if they are classically designed.

but if you are looking for a reasonably slimfitting G9 style harrington that is water repellent, I'd get the Fred Perry black waxed one. It fits much slimmer than Baracuta slimfit, is wax coated so pretty water repellent....as for the plaid lining, **** that's the defining characteristic of a harrington so if you dont want that then you really don't want a harrington.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ as an aside, GS do you think the G9 slimfit or the G10 is slimmer?

the photos lead me to believe the G10 is

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ I've never tried on a G10 but I hear from those who have or own one, that it fits slimmer than the Baracuta G9 slimfit

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
sweet ... I'll let you guys no how it fits when I get around to ordering one

on another note, seeing as though I have you here at the moment GS, classic colours for a harrington? was leaning towards the red (g10), but could easily order two or three of the others (if only I had the money after picking up 7 pairs of talbott links!)

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get Smart - how has your waxed Fred Perry harrington held up? I got one around Christmas (olive) and have been disappointed with the pilling of the cuffs. A small thing, but irritating, none the less. The fit is great, though.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
on another note, seeing as though I have you here at the moment GS, classic colours for a harrington? was leaning towards the red (g10), but could easily order two or three of the others (if only I had the money after picking up 7 pairs of talbott links!)

classic colors would be navy and beige/tan. personally I like the black one and the burgundy color too.

Originally Posted by airportlobby
Get Smart - how has your waxed Fred Perry harrington held up? I got one around Christmas (olive) and have been disappointed with the pilling of the cuffs. A small thing, but irritating, none the less. The fit is great, though.

I got mine around Xmas 2007, so just over a year ago...held up fine. I guess there is some minor pilling at the cuffs but nothing that bothers me or is even that noticeable

redandwhitemonkey

Reaction score
Hi, on the subject of the Fred Perry Waxed Harrington, does anybody know where these are on sale?

I've been searching the web and it looks like all retailers have sold out.

If anybody knows where they are available or has one for sale in a 36" (XS) could you please let me know?

Thanks.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have the olive one on the fred perry website in a 36. I think black was just last year (?). Oddly enough, the one on the website looks distressed, but mine is not.

brandall10

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll add a me too to the Fred Perry harrington... man that thing looks awesome. Not only is it slimmer, but the sleeves/body is shorter for truly small SOBs like myself.

Just got a 36" slimfit baracuta, the blouson style is one thing, but it's just a bit too long which makes the sleeves/body bunch up more than I was hoping. But I'm 5'5" so this is not an issue for some of you more average height slim guys. It kills me a bit as it's such a beautiful jacket. Not sure if I'm going to resell it or bring it to the tailor and get his opinion on what can be done. A 34 prolly won't work for me, just too big up top.

Featured Sponsor

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FAC203