• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking for a simple watch, any help at all would be appreciated

JaymzBawnd

Reaction score
Price range is $200-$700, willing to go used or vintage, leather bracelet and no gold.

Right now I'm thinking Chris Ward C5. http://www.christopherward-usa.com/men/dress/c5ssk-mk2.html

In an ideal world I would buy a Stowa Marine, or a Nomos Tangente/Orion but those appear to be a bit out of my price range.

Any other ideas? Is the CW a good choice?

Thanks in advance!

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you like white/silver dials, a Hamilton Jazzmaster seems like solid choice:

It comes in 40 and 44mm with any leather band color you like.

They run about $500-$600.

Last edited:

JaymzBawnd

Reaction score
Ooooohh I like both of these. Do you believe Kent Wang and Hamilton represent significant upgrades over CW in terms of craftsmanship/durability?

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ooooohh I like both of these. Do you believe Kent Wang and Hamilton represent significant upgrades over CW in terms of craftsmanship/durability?

I personally prefer the Hamilton based on the fact that between the 3, I prefer the one with an ETA movement. The CW uses a Sellita SW200 movement, which while has a fairly positive reception, some consider to be a little below ETA. ETA movements are extremely well known and very "tried and true", hence I prefer them at this market segment. Nearly all watchmakers know ETA, which makes it easier to service when the times comes. This is just me though, it is likely that I am biased by having more experience with ETA. I have little experience with the BWAF movement in the Kent Wang. All I know it is comes from China and has a 40 hour power reserve, upon a quick search, it appears people are pleased with their quality control.

pbandjai

Reaction score
Junghans Max Bill Automatic or Chronoscope - if you can find one vintage it might be right outside your $700 range.

Otherwise I really like the Seiko 5 and Citizen Eco Drive BM8180 - with leather Nato straps

http://www.bluedial.com/bm8180-03e.htm

LBC Demon

Reaction score
I just got a vintage Omega Seamaster with a leather band on Ebay for $300. Check them out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads