looking for a simple watch, any help at all would be appreciated

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JaymzBawnd, Dec 6, 2012.

1. JaymzBawnd

JaymzBawnd Member

Price range is $200-$700, willing to go used or vintage, leather bracelet and no gold.

Right now I'm thinking Chris Ward C5. http://www.christopherward-usa.com/men/dress/c5ssk-mk2.html

In an ideal world I would buy a Stowa Marine, or a Nomos Tangente/Orion but those appear to be a bit out of my price range.

Any other ideas? Is the CW a good choice?

Thanks in advance!

2. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

Assuming you like white/silver dials, a Hamilton Jazzmaster seems like solid choice:

[​IMG]

It comes in 40 and 44mm with any leather band color you like.

They run about $500-$600.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

3. taafis

taafis Member

4. JaymzBawnd

JaymzBawnd Member

Ooooohh I like both of these. Do you believe Kent Wang and Hamilton represent significant upgrades over CW in terms of craftsmanship/durability?

5. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I personally prefer the Hamilton based on the fact that between the 3, I prefer the one with an ETA movement. The CW uses a Sellita SW200 movement, which while has a fairly positive reception, some consider to be a little below ETA. ETA movements are extremely well known and very "tried and true", hence I prefer them at this market segment. Nearly all watchmakers know ETA, which makes it easier to service when the times comes. This is just me though, it is likely that I am biased by having more experience with ETA. I have little experience with the BWAF movement in the Kent Wang. All I know it is comes from China and has a 40 hour power reserve, upon a quick search, it appears people are pleased with their quality control.

6. pbandjai

pbandjai Well-Known Member

Junghans Max Bill Automatic or Chronoscope - if you can find one vintage it might be right outside your $700 range.

Otherwise I really like the Seiko 5 and Citizen Eco Drive BM8180 - with leather Nato straps

http://www.bluedial.com/bm8180-03e.htm

7. LBC Demon

LBC Demon Well-Known Member

I just got a vintage Omega Seamaster with a leather band on Ebay for $300. Check them out.

8. noremac

noremac Active Member