1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new suit on $500 budget

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jndunn, Jun 5, 2014.

1. jndunn

jndunn Member

I'm looking to buy a new suit and have around a $500 budget for the suit itself (budget does not include alternations). What are some good brands to explore?

2. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Search, this is the second similar thread today.

3. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Well-Known Member

4. jndunn

jndunn Member

I have one suit from Suit Supply that I enjoy. Looking for some other options.

5. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

eHaberdasher (an SF affiliate) sells fully canvassed Benjamin Sartorial Collection suits for $525.

6. sydneyboy

sydneyboy Member

Why not look at pre worn. There are many reputable sellers on eBay. Depending
    on your size you could get 2 canal or. EZ for $500

7. Riva

Riva Well-Known Member

Full Canvas only (not Fused) "made to measure" online shops is the best + cheapest route. It's all in the cut and the design, check out their websites for ordering:

Dragon Inside ($660 made in Bulgaria)
    Knotstandard ($1000)
    Black Lapel ($700)
    Mytailor ($800+)
    Elitesuits.com ($545 real horn + quality lining)

IF you don't care about your suit being full canvas which is what differentiates a working suit from a once a year wedding suit, then you can order cheaper models from those MTM online shops. Matthewaperry I think is $260 half canvas.

Benjamin Sartorial ($525 full canvas not MTM) is your best bet for straight pre-made suit that's awesome in all regards but not made to measure to your body.

If you want premade cheaper but still awesome check the brand new Paul Smith Byard lines in Ebay for $300-350. Either full or half canvas., superior fabric, durable seams, Made in Italy.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  8. jndunn

jndunn Member

I'm looking for a everyday day for the office. I should avoid the fully canvassed?

9. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Quote:Haha no, not at all. He meant the exact opposite. Full canvass construction is ideal (and is what costs more).

10. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Why? You should avoid fused.

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

12. Riva

Riva Well-Known Member

13. jndunn

jndunn Member

Sounds like fully canvased is the way to go

14. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Well-Known Member

15. Simon at Elite

Simon at Elite Well-Known Member

If you're not sure about the various type of suit canvas then these two blog posts may be worth a read

Fused Canvas v Full Canvas

A Full Canvas Makes a Better Suit

If you want a more unbiased opinion read any of THESE ARTICLES. They all say basically the same thing

1. A full canvas makes a better suit
    2. The only reason you would buy an inferior half canvas or fused suit is price

so my question is if you can buy a fully tailored full canvas suit for the same price, or in many cases cheaper, then why would you buy a fused suit?

16. TheWraith

Whatever you do, avoid Elite Suits!

17. Simon at Elite

Simon at Elite Well-Known Member

Gee Frank. I'm sorry your experience with Elite Suits was so displeasing.

Oh hang on. You've never bought anything so actually you have no experience with us at all. Unlike the many Elite Suit customers who were so pleased with their new suits that they have posted positive reviews in many places and reordered time and time again

Just like the customer who received their $1,300 suit on Tuesday and was so happy with it that he ordered two more overnight.

You know in this business I understand we are going to get some criticism but how about buying something first instead of just talking through your hat.

BTW. Your last suit was made by a tailor on our roster. Seeing you recommended Amy above it must have been pretty good. Although we don't use them that much anymore as we were referred to a far superior and more highly trained tailor who makes an even better made suit and is a greater fit to the Elite Suits philosophy of using individual tailors rather than a factory produced suit.

For someone who have never bought a thing of us you seemed to be obsessed with talking us down. I could understand if you had bought something that wasn't up to a good standard but this constant trolling from a person who in all likelihood has never even laid eyes on a single one of our products is rather mystifying. Frankly I wonder what could possibly be going through the mind of someone that would make them post a comment like you did

18. Riva

Riva Well-Known Member

Why? Have you ever ordered from them? If not why do you really hate their business? Do you care to elaborate why you think http://www.greatclothes.cn/ which you recommended is better? We really want to know. Legitimate questions.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  19. TheWraith

I've seen enough of Elite's bad tailoring, lousy website and Simon's used car salesman routine here on SF to know he's one to avoid!

Shanghai C&G is my tailor and others here on SF have used them as well. They're a good and cheaper alternative for people. But there are plenty of other viable options out there.

20. Riva

Riva Well-Known Member

1) "Lousy website" is a relative term which I'm sure can be applied to Shanghai C&G as well (let others judge). Has no impact on actual product.

2) Used salesman routine can be annoying but has no relationship to the actual product as well. If that is even true.

3) "bad tailoring"? Where did you see it if you haven't ever ordered one?

Legitimate questions. I'm an avid shopper with no business to promote here in SF.