• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a new pair of shoes please help.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
I am looking for a good pair of dark brown oxfords to wear on a pretty regular basis (say a couple of times a week) with jeans, suits and possibly even shorts if it ever gets hot enough.

Thinking of getting my first pair of Crockett and Jones shoes. I want something that looks good and that will be durable enough to last for a while. I do not know if the Handgrade or the Benchgrade would be better in terms of durability. I am open to other brands but would like something high quality.

I really like a whole cut shoe. However I am not sure I like the brogue part on the Weymouth. Also

Any suggestions would be great.

spence

Reaction score
Generally speaking, I think most people would say any shoe that looks good with jeans is going to be too casual to wear with a suit. Perhaps the exception might be a nice monkstrap?

I have a number of pairs of C&J (all under the Polo name) and they're all great. I wouldn't worry about handgrade or benchgrade. Find a shoe you like and a last that fits you well first.

-spence

SirWilliam

Reaction score
How do I figure out which ones fit me? I am not aware of any stores that sell them around the Bay Area. Also I think I would like to buy them online Pediwear because the exchange rate works well in my favor.

spence

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
How do I figure out which ones fit me? I am not aware of any stores that sell them around the Bay Area. Also I think I would like to buy them online Pediwear because the exchange rate works well in my favor.
You try them on
smile.gif

The different styles are made on different lasts which could impact the size you wear or even if the shape of the shoe will every fit your foot. If you just order your regular size you're rolling the dice as to fit, and returning shoes overseas might be expensive.

I'd think there have to be a good number of nice shoe stores in the Bay Area. Perhaps some people can chime in. C&J are nice but there are a lot of nice shoe makers.

-spence

SirWilliam

Reaction score
If is it true that Peal & Co from Brooks Brothers are made by C&J the I suppose I could just a pair from BB.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peal & Co are made by both A. Sargeant and C&J. If you do not like the medallion on the Weymouth then go for the Alex.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics