• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a mechanical watch in the $2,000 - $3,000 range

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P1011387-small.jpg
01-1125-650-02-9.jpg

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zeetan is an overated grey market vendor. I have asked him to send me more pictures of a few watches I wanted in the past few years and he basically ignored each one of my requests. He's a great deal if you live in Asia but I personally don't trust that guy with my money from the States. Moreover, his prices are only casually competitive for new watches, but if you exercise patience and you know exactly what you want, everything can be bought for 60% off MSRP either through a desperate AD or through another grey market vendor. $2000-3000 is a good range and there are many great watches in this ballpark. Another recommendation is the Ulysse nardin marine chronometer 1846, which is now discontinued and rated to 200M and so is very durable. I've owned this watch for more than 5 years and it's a solid piece. With a leather band, you can buy this for anywhere from $1600-$2000. On bracelet, I'd go up to $2400. This is for new or LNIB with all papers. The older square date window version is even cheaper. There's also a 36mm version which is incredibly hard to find and is the one I own.
549176600_ddc5331e34.jpg
Originally Posted by _ML_
Zeetan @ www.collectorstime.com is the greatest. There is no one more honest or professional in the gray market sector. Search posts on him on timezone.com and you'll see he has hundreds of glowing reviews/comments. I've purchased from him multiple times and every transaction has been extremely smooth and first rate.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
I misquoted the guy. He didn't refer to IWC as a smaller brand but some other brand whose name escapes me.

I'll check out the Omega Coaxial and the Rolex Air King.

As a watch "newbie", I'm hesitant about buying over the net.

Just so there's no confusion, Coaxial refers to the movement, not a specific model. Coaxial movements have a more liberal service interval (4-5 years) while standard Omegas are suggested to be serviced every 2-3 years. Whatever you pick, please remember to take good care of it and have it serviced regularly.

My personal favorite of the "common" high grade watches is Omega. When you're looking at high grade watches from reputable firms, it will just come down to your personal taste. Whether it be aesthetics, complication, or a specific feature, decide what you want in a watch and buy that watch.

It being your first purchase, I would definitely hold off on buying one until you are sure of what you want.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a Breitling Chrono Colt Automatic from a wonderful jewelry store in Chicago's Loop, near my office. The price was good (maybe not "internet good" but good nonetheless). I am very satisfied with my final decision and I appreciate everyone's input.
bigstar[1].gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
English lever fusee pocket-watch--completely handmade from a time when English watches were beginning to become out of date precisely because they were so labor-intensive. And this is the mid-19th century I'm referring to.

CharlesFrodsham06020.jpg

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While the idea of a pocket watch sounds cool, LK, I'd feel like I was Captain Kanagroo if I got one.
biggrin.gif

Plus, I know that my girlfriend would not want to be seen with me if I walked around with a pocket watch (she already calls me "Mr. Pretentious" and "Prof. Condescending"...lovingly, of course).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads