• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a good tailor

tsloop

Reaction score
I just recently started buying clothes online and some of them need to be tailored but I have zero experience with tailors. I live in Monterey, California but would be willing to drive the hour and a half to San Francisco if needed. Any help finding someone would be greatly appreciated

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jon minor comes recommended as one of the best in the city, but i have no experience (yet). also i don't know his rates - aharris might have a better idea.

(actually i'd love to know his rates - is he more expensive than others, or is there kindof a standard rate that most tailors follow?)

/andrew

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Im about to take a Kiton jacket to a tailor who is in a concourse off Market Street near Montgomery. He was recommended by Brooks Brothers (they are now sending even sleeve buttons back to New York because they have no-one local who is competent). The guy's wife worked at BroBroClo for thirty years.

I'll let you know how the work turns out. I can find him but don't know his name or I'd pass it on. If you know SF, it's the same concourse as the cigar store.

Will

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
will: not sure which cigar shop you're talking about, probably grant's tobacconist?

here's what mapquest gave me close by there:

Macchione Custom Tailors
Esobar Brothers Custom Tailors
Custom Shop Shirtmakers Inc
Andreas Gorges Tailoring
Threads-Jack Henderson
Angelo Rocco
Patrick James

any of those ring a bell?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Try Pacific Tweed or Khaki's in Monterey. Why drive?

tsloop

Reaction score
Try Pacific Tweed or Khaki's in Monterey. Why drive?

I was willing to drive, of course Khaki's just slipped my mind, I dont know how with all the commercials they run. Thanks, that will definitely help and save a lot of time.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for the benefit of others, (sorry tsloop, anything outside of SF is off the edge of the world for me) - the bay guardian had their 'best of the bay' issue a few weeks ago, and their reader poll voted 'Cable Car Tailors' on Powell St. the best for tailoring/alterations.

however, given their apparent constituency, i don't know if that's much of a ringing endorsement.

/andrew - still interested in city- or eastbay-based tailor info

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics