1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

looking for a good shampoo?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by jamesbond, Mar 21, 2005.

1. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

i dont really know what im looking for but possibly something made of natural ingrediants like fruit or something. i want something thats good for my hair and scalp. i want to keep my hair healthy so that i never lose it. i currently use garnier fructis shampoo and tigi bed head manipulator conditioner. also the other problem i have is after washing and conditioning it seems the hair in front, right above my forehead seems to stick at the ends, so when i go to style it or push it back it sometimes pulls hairs out, anyone else have this problem? that is a particular spot were i dont want to be pulling hair out. any solutions? better conditioner maybe? thanks

2. benchan

benchan Senior member

Well, if you major concern is the above, and you reside in the USA, one simple and cheap method to buy some Kirkland minoxidil from Cosco and add a few drops of the liquid to your hair after shampoo each night. It is not a natural product though.

3. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i've never used it, but many people have recommended aveda products to me. i'm happy with kiehl's all-sport shampoo.

4. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

Good luck finding something made of natural ingrediants like fruit or something. Supposedly "all-natural" shampoos like Garnier Fructis or Aveda are made from the most standard (synthetic) ingredients imaginable, with tiny amounts of plants then added for fragrance and marketing purposes. That doesn't necessarily make the products bad - most products from Garnier Fructis or Aveda are pretty good - it's just a little misleading.

I recommend consulting Paula Begoun's website or her book on haircare products.

5. layla

layla Member

I very highly recommend the Philip B line of Hair cair products (here's a site where I, and the spa I work with buy stuff: Philip B. Â Several of my male clients use this line and they sweat by it. The body washes are pretty amazing too but on the pricey side.

6. hermes

hermes Senior member

well i don't think you'll find a single shampoo that is 100% natural as shampoos are mild detergents etc.

korres makes nice shampoos for various hair and scalp types and the korres philosophy is to use natural ingredients and herbal extracts and their products and free of synthetics such as mineral extracts and silicone

the korres aloe and soapwart PH neutral shampoo for frequent use is very good for all hair types

baxter of california makes a very good protein shampoo for daily use as well which is suitable for all hair types

7. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Try the Redkin products, a friend is the West Coast manager for the company, got my wife and I using them, and it is unbelieveable the difference....and I always had used a very popular expensive store bought brand before that.

8. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

Your worries about hair loss are almost entirely tied into your genes, so you may want to skip the "fruit or something" approach and just get something that works well for your hair and smells good.

I use Philosophy because I'm dumb and a ladyboy.

9. cloud9eleet

cloud9eleet Senior member

I use Aveda Shampure, been using it for 5+ years. Great product.

10. jmswentworth

jmswentworth Senior member

A nomad in a suit: London, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris
    Baxter of California is very good.

11. moosio

moosio Member

Before I shaved my head.... i used to use this special system for hair loss http://www.deoliveirasystems.com/pages/main.html I did see results, but due to the price and laborous procedures, I decided to shave it all off. I still use the hair tonic on my scalp though.

12. sashae

sashae Senior member

Rene Futurer Carthame.. smells great, good on the hair.

-s

13. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

well yes i agree with you about the genes part but i also think the way you treat your hair may have some affect as to what happens to your hair in the future. especially with all the chemicals and everything in some of the shampoos these days.

by no means am i going bald or loosing hair, i just want a good product thats good for my hair and scalp. the shampoo and conditioner i currently use leaves my hair kinda natty, heance the pulling hair out when i go to style it.

i have seen the redkin products in stores, and will give em a try. im not really trying to travel to distant lands to aquire shampoo but will also look for the others mentioned. thanks to all.

14. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

My mom always told me it is good to alternate shampoos (basically never buy the same type two consecutive bottles in a row), because your hair gets used to it (immune even) and, though there are no adverse effects, the benefits are lost or dimished. Did she make this up? Is she crazy? Logically, it makes sense to me.

I've used American Crew (like the way the conidtioner tingles, mmm) - recommended.
    Tigi Bed Head smells really nice, but it seems to leave my scalp dry. I don't have a dandruff problem, but with this shampoo and conditioner, I've noticed some flaking.

Dan

15. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

amirrorcrackd, your mother is half-right. The good news is that your hair cannot become immune to anything. However many shampoos can indeed cause buildup, even shampoos that promise not to cause buildup on the labels.

The reason is that so many shampoos today contain conditioning agents. The conditioning agents help many people's hair but eventually they can lead to buildup. The best solution is to use a shampoo that contains no conditioning agents (Neutrogena's anti-residue shampoo is a popular option) once a week or so.

16. policy

policy Active Member

I use Suave's .89 Milk and Honey. I switched to this after noticing no difference between the .89 Suave and the 60.00/Liter Aveda Sap Moss and Shampure I was using. If my hair ever gets over 1 inch long, I may switch to something nicer. But if I am putting pomade in my hair I'm not really worried about natural shine.