• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Looking for a dress shoes - on a budget

db87123

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been a lurker for a month or so and I thought i'd ask for some help. I've been looking to buy some decent dress shoes.

I saw these: http://www.zappos.com/bostonian-colston-black ... good basic pair to start with? The plan is to buy pair within this week.

Thanks in advance.

altie

Reaction score
What are you planning on using them for? If you can wait a little longer, you might be able to find some Allen Edmonds on sale for around $100. Also I suspect a cap toe would work better than a plain toe for wearing with a suit - good to have if interviews are on your radar for your first dress shoes. Another option: measure carefully, ready your patience and hit ebay. Here's a relevant search with a bunch of lame and overpriced brands eliminated: http://clothing.shop.ebay.com/i.html....c0.m270.l1313

db87123

Reaction score
I plan to wear them daily for work. Our company is really lax with dress code, but i'm tired of wearing jeans, polo and sneakers, you get my drift right?

I think it's about time I dress a little more professional you can say.

Would you recommend a pair of black captoe within the price range of the bostonian?

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by altie
If you can wait a little longer, you might be able to find some Allen Edmonds on sale for around $100.
where should i be looking for such deals? for a new pair

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db87123
Hi All,

I've been a lurker for a month or so and I thought i'd ask for some help. I've been looking to buy some decent dress shoes.

I saw these:

lurk longer

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
E Park or Fifth Avenue.

Preferably both, that way you can rotate them.

videocrew

Reaction score
I'd rather wear sneakers than ugly, orthopedic-looking dress shoes. Those shoes are for guys who HAVE to wear them and can't or won't afford better. If you don't have to buy them today, save up for something you'll enjoy wearing and get a long life out of.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rgoldstein
Target?

I have a pair of black wingtips from target that are actually not awful...they are my go-to shoes when I realize it is raining before I head out the door. They polish alright (thankfully they are not CG but they also are never going to get to mirror shine levels) and have a nice shape The worst thing about them is that I ended up clearly being between sizes but target only does full sizes past 10 or so...I put insoles in them but they are still too big and don't lay quite right across my feet. Unfortunately looking at target's website now, they seem to have stepped backwards in styling. Everything has a big square toe and probably the best looking shoe option looks a lot like that bostonian...

rgoldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I have a pair of black wingtips from target that are actually not awful...they are my go-to shoes when I realize it is raining before I head out the door.

They polish alright (thankfully they are not CG but they also are never going to get to mirror shine levels) and have a nice shape
The worst thing about them is that I ended up clearly being between sizes but target only does full sizes past 10 or so...I put insoles in them but they are still too big and don't lay quite right across my feet.

Unfortunately looking at target's website now, they seem to have stepped backwards in styling. Everything has a big square toe and probably the best looking shoe option looks a lot like that bostonian...

Aw, yeah that does look to be the case.
The last couple times I've paid attention they'd been decent. A few months ago they were even recommended in GQ. I was amazed at how sharp the silhouette was.

Sad times.

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rgoldstein
Aw, yeah that does look to be the case.
The last couple times I've paid attention they'd been decent. A few months ago they were even recommended in GQ. I was amazed at how sharp the silhouette was. Sad times.

I have a pair of suede oxfords I got from them on clearance for like 7$. They are relatively clean with a round point. The only negative is a thick rubber sole. Unfortunately, that seemed to be the last relics of decent looking shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 74 16.8%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 144 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 74 16.8%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 36 8.2%