• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a dress shirt similar to this color.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm too old school, but I'm of the opinion that shirts either a solid light color (white, chalky lavender, yellow, light pink, light blue, etc.) or white with dark(-er) check/vertical stripes. Too many dark solid shirts and shirts with less-than-conservative stripes just give off that trying-to-make-a-badly-fitting-prom-tux-look-badass vibe. Eegad.

swiego

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Maybe I'm too old school, but I'm of the opinion that shirts either a solid light color (white, chalky lavender, yellow, light pink, light blue, etc.) or white with dark(-er) check/vertical stripes. Too many dark solid shirts and shirts with less-than-conservative stripes just give off that trying-to-make-a-badly-fitting-prom-tux-look-badass vibe. Eegad.
A friend of mine once said that in contemporary western fashion, people often confuse "old school" with "white school." It wasn't meant as a racial/ethnic epithet, rather an observation that skin tone determines (to a huge degree) that fine line between smart and tacky when it comes to clothing, especially dress shirts. I'm darker skinned and those dark solid shirts and richer stripes work very well for me. I don't do so well with the white shirts with vertical stripes that you advocate. And yet I'm not much of a prom-tux-wearing-badass.

FormalFashion08

Reaction score
i really like this look: grey shirt with black tie and black cardigan. Shame that the dress shirt is $265

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by swiego
A friend of mine once said that in contemporary western fashion, people often confuse "old school" with "white school." It wasn't meant as a racial/ethnic epithet, rather an observation that skin tone determines (to a huge degree) that fine line between smart and tacky when it comes to clothing, especially dress shirts. I'm darker skinned and those dark solid shirts and richer stripes work very well for me. I don't do so well with the white shirts with vertical stripes that you advocate. And yet I'm not much of a prom-tux-wearing-badass.

Fair point. I will say that some men, especially ones with a darker complexion, look great in richer blue or purple shirts. With that said, I feel that regardless of one's skin color, a dark gray shirt isn't going to do much. Especially with a satin-y black tie like the one seen in the Neiman's picture (that's what gave me the badass prom tux vibe. Also, I do believe that the jacket/sweater and tie should always be lighter than the shirt, again, regardless of skin color. Finally, I have less of a problem with rich/bold stripes than ones in simply garish colors. I have more of an issue with shirts that have multicolored stripes that look borrowed from a Beatles album cover than one that has dark but conservatively-colored stripes.

For example, here's a darker shirt in a conservative color on a darker-skinned guy. Looks great.

This, on the other hand, is oddly striped in a less flattering color, and just doesn't look too awesome, even on another man with dark complexion.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Fair point. I will say that some men, especially ones with a darker complexion, look great in richer blue or purple shirts. With that said, I feel that regardless of one's skin color, a dark gray shirt isn't going to do much. Especially with a satin-y black tie like the one seen in the Neiman's picture (that's what gave me the badass prom tux vibe.

This, I agree with. Adding a bit of color goes a long way, especially if you are dark skinned. As someone who's olive skinned, I tend to prefer darker colors -- however, I do make sure that they are colors, and not bland (i.e. gray).

Also, I do believe that the jacket/sweater and tie should always be lighter than the shirt, again, regardless of skin color.
I do not understand this -- if you are wearing a navy blue suit with a white shirt (a classic combo), your rule would be broken.

Finally, I have less of a problem with rich/bold stripes than ones in simply garish colors. I have more of an issue with shirts that have multicolored stripes that look borrowed from a Beatles album cover than one that has dark but conservatively-colored stripes.
I think that also depends on context. I own several shirts that have bold, multicolored stripes. Mostly, those are for club and casual wear. The ones that are more conservative are for work wear. At the end of the day, as a 20 something professional, I am not going to dress like my grandfather.
smile.gif

For example, here's a darker shirt in a conservative color on a darker-skinned guy. Looks great.
That is a contrast collar shirt on a formal attire. I would argue that there are some combinations that you cannot go wrong with, and that is one of them.

This, on the other hand, is oddly striped in a less flattering color, and just doesn't look too awesome, even on another man with dark complexion.
I think the problem with the last picture is the lack of any color. If he was wearing the same dark shirt with some light blue or maroon or purple stripes, he would look stunning.

At the end of the day, dressing conservatively is a function of your age, the occasion and your mood. Me? I like bright colors, and as someone with a tanned/olive skin tone, most "conservative" combinations look lousy on me.

lettuceprey

Reaction score
Yes, a little color goes a whole long way. If you walk into a room and it's a sea of white, off white and eggshell, you know it's going to be a dull, long party. As far as finding the shirt goes, have you tried tux shops? Look for some in your area on <a href="
http://www.gatheringguide.com/ec/formal_wear_tuxes.html">
http://www.gatheringguide.com/ec/formal_wear_tuxes.html</a> and see if you find any near you. I like them because the assistants are usually very knowledgble and willing to help. Nothing worse than being lost in a huge dept store.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
I think all, or at least almost all, of my ties are darker than my shirts. I could not wear a white shirt otherwise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads