• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a dinner jacket...

HopefulNihilist

Reaction score
Allow me to be redundant - I'm looking for a dinner jacket. So far, the only quasi respectable brand I've seen that offers one, at least in my size (44R), is Brooks Brothers. Albeit, I'm reluctant to purchase it, as I find it to be a bit overpriced in relation to its construction. I'd also like a lower button stance and higher arm-holes; I'm going for a bit more of a modern look. Not too modern, however, as that doesn't seem apropos for a DJ.

Also - amidst my search, I spotted this photo of Aziz Ansari:

Initially, I LOVED this jacket. Albeit, I have a few questions, as I am, admittedly, horribly ignorant of more formal wear
shog[1].gif
:

• Should a dinner jacket have pocket flaps, or is that considered a fashion faux pas? I've read differing opinions, as ever, but I'd like to know what the consensus is.
  • Are the black accents on the jacket tacky/sacrilege? As I said, I'm not overly knowledgeable on formalwear. I rather liked them, to be honest; I thought they picked up on the black bow-tie and pants rather well and alleviated some of the monotony I've seen with some DJs.

I have no problem buying used. So - any recommendations on where to get one?

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

guymac12

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I believe the flap pockets are customary for dinner jackets. I'm not too keen on wearing white though.

EriQ009

Reaction score

Thanks! Any chance a competent tailor could remove them, in the case I find a DJ that has flaps but is otherwise, well, lovely?

Pocket flaps shouldn't be too difficult to convert to jetted. I've found, as well, that on many dinner jackets with flapped pockets, the flaps neatly tuck into the pocket out of sight. Instant jetted pocket.

EriQ009

Reaction score

I believe the flap pockets are customary for dinner jackets. I'm not too keen on wearing white though.

They are called white, but just about every "white" dinner jacket I've seen is some off-white shade of cream. Even Aziz's jacket is, I believe, off-white.

guymac, I understand that in London, white dinner jackets are something of a rarity, as the climate does not allow for it. Is it true that they are seldom worn/seen?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what would you be wearing this for?

HopefulNihilist

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what would you be wearing this for?

Nothing current, as the climate isn't suited (pun absolutely intended) for it, but I normally have a lot of bigwig soirees and fancy parties during the spring/summer months. I normally just wear a tux, but I want to switch it up a bit.

So, do any of you have an opinion on Aziz's jacket? The more I look at it, the more I like it, but he's not exactly the Cary Grant of my generation; I can't tell if it'd be considering tacky. Risque would be fine, but tacky I cannot tolerate. Thanks!
smile.gif

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Nothing current, as the climate isn't suited (pun absolutely intended) for it, but I normally have a lot of bigwig soirees and fancy parties during the spring/summer months. I normally just wear a tux, but then again, so does everyone else. Wanna switch it up a bit.  

Please do remember that when you are invited to a formal party (and not a host) you cannot/should not get away with a lot. Reading between the lines it sounds like these are rather large parties that you are invited to. I wouldn't wear a DJ unless I was throwing the party or was with a small group of close friends. Just my $0.02.

HopefulNihilist

Reaction score
Please do remember that when you are invited to a formal party (and not a host) you cannot/should not get away with a lot. Reading between the lines it sounds like these are rather large parties that you are invited to. I wouldn't wear a DJ unless I was throwing the party or was with a small group of close friends. Just my $0.02.

Oh no no no, my apologies; I should have been more specific - these are usually amongst friends and I'm usually co-host. Good point.

Last edited:

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand that in London, white dinner jackets are something of a rarity, as the climate does not allow for it. Is it true that they are seldom worn/seen?

You seem them often enough at black tie does in the summer, particularly at events like Glyndebourne that are partly outside. They are in a minority, but not by so much that people would comment if you were to wear one. Of course English weather being what it is there is no guarantee you won't end up getting rained on in your summery white DJ.

Jacket facings/buttons should be white as well. Shawl lapels look better on a white DJ than peak in my view, but either is acceptable. See the blacktieguide:

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Warm_Weather.htm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads