• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Looking for a decent Alden Blucher alternative

dsoren

Reaction score
Alright, I know that Alden's are amazing. I know that they are super high quality, and will last forever. But I just can't swing the cost right now. So, I am looking for a less expensive alternative to these exact shoes:

Note that I am looking for a wingtip blucher, not just a regular wingtip. I already have a pair of those. The bluchers seem slightly more casual to me; that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

vm1336

Reaction score
If you haven't done it already, get on the email list for Alden seconds by calling The Shoe Mart. You can save a couple hundred bucks and get exactly the shoes you're looking for with a little luck. That's how I got my cordovan #8 plain toe bluchers.

Otherwise, many English companies make similar shoes (check Herring Shoes UK website, country styles) but the price will be quite high.

I heard that English fathers used to tell their sons, "Spend your money on your bed mattress and your shoes, because when you aren't in one you'll be in the other." Sound advice.

In my opinion, if you find these shoes in the same style from a cheaper brand they probably won't last 2-3 years. Get the Aldens (even in seconds) and they'll last 10-20 years if you take care of them. A bargain.

Sorry I didn't exactly answer your question, but I think deep down you're looking for help justifying the purchase of the Aldens. I would be.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.