• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a classic, but modern watch

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P-K-L
breguet_tourbillon_messidor.jpg

I'm a Breguet fan (and wearer) ... but not this model. Of course, it should be noted that said watch is about as far from Bauhaus as one can get.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
I was referring more to people who were considering wearing $100 marc jacobs watches. I'm guessing you're not in that category.
Gotcha. I must admit ... your Seiko is a tremendous improvement over Mr. Jacobs.

dpopat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I'm a Breguet fan (and wearer) ... but not this model. Of course, it should be note that said watch is about as far from Bauhaus as one can get.

And it's probably about $30,000

canada2383

Reaction score
Wow. I had no idea that there was an entire movement dedicated to this style of watch. After looking at all of the watch options that you guys have been posting, I agree - that Marc Jacobs is looking way tacky.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
The dressier Timex's and Skagen pictured are the way to go. The MJ would not have been a good choice. No classic watch has the brand name written around the perimeter like that. That's an el cheapo fashion watch, not a classic watch.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seiko SVCS013 aka "Blue Spark". Discontinued. Here I am still weeping

1f1a9d3e5de21c7621a67e7.jpg

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I always like blue hands on white dial. Wish it had numbers instead.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. This thread is making me rethink my stance of not buying a watch until I can safely spend +$2000. Some of these exactly meet my aesthetic expectations.

For those of you who know more about watches: Realistically, if I buy a skagen or a seiko, should I expect these to last more than 5 years? Or put another way, are these the type of watches one should continue to maintain over a lifetime, or do you just chuck them out after they have served you and buy a new one?

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soxpats
I agree with you. Life is to short to wear a cheap watch.

ive got a 5513 and a speedmaster- i still really like my skx007. same goes i think for many people who are into watches. seikos are great.

aridhol

Reaction score
Is there a recommended online seller of Seiko's that ships to Canada?
I am liking the look and the price point matches my empty wallet.

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score
As a general rule, anything that has the designer's name on more than 10% of the exposable surface area is not "classic." For a lower price point, I think that the two winners are Citizen and Timex. Citizen are a bit more, but they last forever. As for the Timex, I am a strong proponent of this watch at Need Supply. It is similar to that offered by Timex x J. Crew, but for about $100 cheaper.

Not to get too tangental, but I just discovered Need Supply and it does a great job of displaying good looking items at multiple price points.

Bandit44

Reaction score
You might want to check out Jacques Lemans. Amazon sells them, so does world of watches and if you keep an eye out, they are sometimes discounted to the point where you can buy an ETA 2824 powered automatic for $250-$300.

I don't wear mine much, but it is very well-made.

IMG_0006.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads