• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a brown shoe

FT412

Reaction score
Hello everyone thanks in advance for the help any ideas on a shoe comfortable enough to bartend in and also nice looking without being too expensive. I usually wear wool or cotton pants with either a dress shirt and tie or a ocbd when not wearing a tie

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does “too expensive” mean to you? And do you need rubber soles, or are leather soles okay?

rjc149

Reaction score
This depends on what "not too expensive" means.

For cosmetically nice-looking shoes that are comfortable and not repairable (ie. disposable), I would say Cole Haan, Johnston & Murphy, Florsheim or Ecco are your best options. These should all run you less than $200, Florsheim and Ecco less than $100.

Personally I don't think I would want to work a bar/waiter shift in cork-soled, leather-heeled dress shoes. I was a busboy/barback in my early 20's -- lots of walking up and down stairs, fetching ice buckets, lifting kegs and crates, and just being on your feet all evening. I totally wore through a pair of cheap Steve Madden shoes in 2 months -- literally, wore holes in the uppers and broke the sole through the middle. So, get comfortable shoes, but don't go too cheap.

FT412

Reaction score
Rubber soles would be best and under 300 is my
Budget thanks again

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comfort and durability are going to be more important than just aesthetics. As @rjc149 says, you'll beat these shoes up pretty quickly.

Also, the rubber on many rubber-soled classic dress shoes is something called Dainite, which is very hard (not shock absorbing) and surprisingly slippery on wet hard surfaces. Crepe or Vibram rubber soles are probably the way to go.

Maybe something like these Samuel Hubbard shoes -- apparently they are resolable

TexasToast

Reaction score
I like Beckett Simonon shoes, Their shoes are very stylish well and are $200 a pair. I own 3 pairs and considering buying another pair.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
For cosmetically nice-looking shoes that are comfortable and not repairable (ie. disposable), I would say Cole Haan, Johnston & Murphy, Florsheim or Ecco are your best options. These should all run you less than $200, Florsheim and Ecco less than $100.

Cole Haan and Ecco are notorious for making incredibly ugly shoes. Comfortable, sure, but astoundingly ugly. Even the ones that actually look like dress shoes are pretty bad, but they're especially known for the ones with weird sneakery soles, and... Please don't direct OP to those as "nice-looking."

Last edited:

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
One comfort note... Being on your feet for a lot of hours is never going to be good for you. Any time you get a chance to sit down for, like, 20 seconds, your body will appreciate it, from your feet through your back.

Another... Some shoes feel bad up front, but better after some break in. Some shoes don't feel that great, but give you types of support that will leave you feeling better after a long shift, or after a year of long shifts. Squishy cloud-like sneaker soles are not necessarily the right move.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One comfort note... Being on your feet for a lot of hours is never going to be good for you. Any time you get a chance to sit down for, like, 20 seconds, your body will appreciate it, from your feet through your back.

Another... Some shoes feel bad up front, but better after some break in. Some shoes don't feel that great, but give you types of support that will leave you feeling better after a long shift, or after a year of long shifts. Squishy cloud-like sneaker soles are not necessarily the right move.
Pretty sure the OP by now has figured out that it’s good to sit whenever you can. That being said, I haven’t seen too many bars with chairs behind the bar.

So do you actually have any helpful recommendations as to what shoes the OP should buy?

rjc149

Reaction score
Cole Haan and Ecco are notorious for making incredibly ugly shoes. Comfortable, sure, but astoundingly ugly. Even the ones that actually look like dress shoes are pretty bad, but they're especially known for the ones with weird sneakery soles, and... Please don't direct OP to those as "nice-looking."
They each have a pretty varied range of models and styles, many of which are aesthetically quite inoffensive:

The only crime I see here is being cheap mass-produced shoes that give comfortable sneaker-like service for maybe a year of regular wear, then get tossed. That's not my personal approach to dress shoes, but then again, I'm not working on my feet all day.

I did wear a pair of black Cole Haan split-toes to work each day when I started, I found them to be comfortable, serviceable shoes that could take a decent shine.

Last edited:

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
They each have a pretty varied range of models and styles, many of which are aesthetically quite inoffensive:

You didn't say "they have many options that are inoffensive," you said "For cosmetically nice-looking shoes... [these brands] are your best options." They're not. The bulk of their shoes are breathtakingly ugly, and the ones you shared are fine at best.

I appreciate the comfort argument, and I don't really care about resoleability. The reason I hate recommending Cole Haan is that, if OP reads that recommendation, OP will probably get an ugly shoe.

I guess OP is more concerned with comfort. That's fine. But don't tell him that he will get a good-looking shoe if he just goes and gets something from this brand, or this one, that's not good advice.

Last edited:

rjc149

Reaction score
You didn't say "they have many options that are inoffensive," you said "For cosmetically nice-looking shoes... [these brands] are your best options." They're not. The bulk of their shoes are breathtakingly ugly, and the ones you shared are fine at best.

I appreciate the comfort argument, and I don't really care about resoleability. The reason I hate recommending Cole Haan is that, if OP reads that recommendation, OP will probably get an ugly shoe.

I guess OP is more concerned with comfort. That's fine. But don't tell him that he will get a good-looking shoe if he just goes and gets something from this brand, or this one, that's not good advice.
:rolleyes:

Leiker

Reaction score
You didn't say "they have many options that are inoffensive," you said "For cosmetically nice-looking shoes... [these brands] are your best options."
You left out some key parts of what he said:

"For cosmetically nice-looking shoes that are comfortable and not repairable (ie. disposable)"

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
You left out some key parts of what he said:

"For cosmetically nice-looking shoes that are comfortable and not repairable (ie. disposable)"

Did he do that? Did he refer to brands you should go to for cosmetically nice, comfortable, non-reparable shoes, or did he refer to brands you should go to for ugly, comfrotable, non-reparable shoes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads