• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a brown loafer to be worn with chinos in a business casual environment

southbound35

Reaction score
My office is extremely casual. Since the office is in suburban Dallas, it gets quite hot in the summer. Most of my co-workers wear ill-fitting chinos and golf shirts. In an effort to not stand out in a dandified way, I tend to wear chinos that fit well and OCBD or conservatively patterned sportshirts (I have several variations of gingham and low-key checks).

Saw a pair of John Varvatos loafers at Barney's that interested me (they look better in person than in the pic below), but I thought I might call on the collective knowledge of the iGentry for some more MC-approved options. I'd like something relatively sleek that would look good with chinos.

1187274-p-DETAILED.jpg

http://www.barneys.com/Venetian-Slip...efault,pd.html

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there's an Allen Edmonds store in Dallas. Go there and see if they can get the Rimini shipped in in your size. It's from their Italian collection, usually priced at $300. They're discontinuing it and it's on sale for $150. It's a leather soled loafer. The Allen Edmonds where I'm currently living is shipping some in for me to buy (the ones instore had some off-stitching on the inside that irritated my foot. I think it's a good deal.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Double monks. Those look like something everyone in Dallas already has two pairs of in their closet.

I dig double monks, but not with chinos. Point taken about everyone in Dallas (including myself) having two pairs.

Originally Posted by Tony Romo
I think there's an Allen Edmonds store in Dallas. Go there and see if they can get the Rimini shipped in in your size. It's from their Italian collection, usually priced at $300. They're discontinuing it and it's on sale for $150. It's a leather soled loafer. The Allen Edmonds where I'm currently living is shipping some in for me to buy (the ones instore had some off-stitching on the inside that irritated my foot. I think it's a good deal.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure what it's called, but I've never liked loafers with that extra layer of leather over the stitching on the vamp.

Originally Posted by wetnose
These are just pure sex, man

Those are great looking shoes. A bit too dressy for my casual office.

Bumping for morning views and suggestions.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
Those are great looking shoes. A bit too dressy for my casual office.

Those are non-black loafers. If you wanna go less formal than this you need to wear boat shoes, driving mocs or sneakers.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlexE
Those are non-black loafers. If you wanna go less formal than this you need to wear boat shoes, driving mocs or sneakers.

I've been wearing driving mocs and they work perfectly well. But, I'm the only one in the office who does. I was thinking maybe a small step up in formality would be appropriate.

Originally Posted by txeconomist
I think the Alden LHS loafer in natural chrome excel would look good with chinos or jeans. Awesome and super casual.

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._calfskin.html

Not a bad option, though I'm not a fan of the thick rubber sole.

However, theshoemart website offered this one as a suggestion:

6243F.jpg

I might have a pair of the snuff suede sent my way and see what I think.

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men...elt_suede.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads