• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a bolder, but classic suit

blipstein

Reaction score
I tried to post some swatch images here but the system keeps telling me "the image is too big" so here's a link to the images in my dropbox - https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/rhef...JS06Tr8w?rlkey=qark8wh9sbt5xehmv4k01cytl&dl=0

If you have the chance to create a one-of-a-kind suit the only way to do this is by commissioning something bespoke. It's the ONLY way you can control every detail, from the fabric selection to buttons, style elements (lapels, pockets, vents, finish stitching) down to the fun personal elements (linings, contrast threads on buttonholes, specific thread color for sewing on the buttons, etc.).

The images I posted are of Scabal's Treasure box collection (there might only be 20-30 of these collections in the country). The fabric features 24 karat gold wrapped threads and the outcome of making one of these suits is stunning! It provides for a garment that is elegant yet distinct and one that will definitely stand above anything else in the room. While they are not inexpensive, if this wow factor is what you are looking for, this would be well worth the money spent (just don't pay up for the brand, work with a reputable tailor shop that focuses only on bespoke garments).

As far as design elements to follow, if I were designing this suit with you, I would need to know more about who you are, the event you're attending, and I would work your personality into the designs to create something that still reflects who you are without letting the design trump you. The garment should support you, not hide you, and picking some of the more fashion forward designs (i.e. too wide of a peak lapel) can feel more like a clown suit on you than something you feel authentic in.

Feel free to message me if you're interested in talking more. This is all we do, everyday - design one-of-a-kind, unique and supportive wearable works of art for our clients.

MBrianT

Reaction score
This was my first thought. Or Cifonelli. Basically you have classic materials (navy worsted) and a classic style (single breasted), but you play with bold elements, such as drape and lapel width. Houses like Tom Ford and Cifonelli are willing to do really large lapels and bold shapes (i.e., Tom Ford does really pointy, strong shoulders).
Cifonelli 6x1 db with some pattern would be bold.

Bhav

Reaction score
Idea: Get a custom order thru Epaulet, have seen a green shashiko suit on their IG, customer ordered it for their wedding.

Enfusia

Reaction score
Yes, Edward Sexton (R.I.P), is great.

However, there is a guy in Canada named Rudolf Papradi that has the most insane lapel rolls you have ever seen.

Not just hand sewn, but truly old school 'hand pushed and sewn'. This is a very laborious process of 'pushing' the two layers of cloth over the canvas with fingers and thumb and sewing it at the same time.

Click the link 'bespoke suits' in his site navigation to see what I mean.

No minions: the man cuts the suit and sews each and every stitch by himself.

Just look at those amazing lapels.

And he will do as bold as you can handle.

Patrick

eneb

Reaction score
What do you want to make “BOLD”?
If you wish to highlight your charm, I recommend looking for a suit that is natural yet elegant. However, if you’re merely searching for a “BOLD SUIT,” you might end up in a ridiculous situation where people notice your clothes rather than you.

Especially if this is your first bespoke suit, I hope it is not over-the-top.

sclemmons

Reaction score
If you are serious, you should contact your Oxxford rep. They have a book of fabrics for the man who is running for President. Low key but effective. Hard wearing, hard finish, year round weight, for the man who is in it 18 hours a day for 18 months. I bought that suit three times. Three open patch. One side vent. One rear vent. One extra pant per suit. It will see you out, to loss or reelection.

It is not about you. It is about the suit. The suit is a better product than you are, most likely. Be worthy of it and the craftsmen, and get it fitted at Oxxford if you can.

sc

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the suggestions.

I think the double-breasted suggestion is a great suggestion and strikes that balance I'm looking for.

Also noted the mentions about fabric. I live in Hong Kong which is blessedly a great tailoring city.

grio1212

Reaction score
Thank you for all the suggestions.

I think the double-breasted suggestion is a great suggestion and strikes that balance I'm looking for.

Also noted the mentions about fabric. I live in Hong Kong which is blessedly a great tailoring city.
Good luck man. My most recent buy was a DB. Highly recommend. Let us know what you go with!

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeradeaniels