• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for $400-500 suit - Gilt, Filene's or wait for BB 1818?

kayaker

Reaction score
Hi,

I've searched the forums for some advice on the below, but wanted some help specifically to compare the options I'm considering. About me - 24 y/o, 40R, 31 waist, 5'10", 160#. No real rush, I just have a charcoal pinstripe suit from Jos A Bank that I really dislike. Looking for a basic Navy suit.

I mainly wanted to get a sense for the quality of suits on Gilt occasionally for around $450. Names include hickey, CK, etc. I've often considered pulling the trigger, but talk myself out of it as it's never clear whether they're fused, half-canvas, etc., whether the suits are specific to Gilt, etc.

Brooks Brothers 1818 on their half off sale is also an option. I understand they use quality fabrics and are half-canvassed.

I've tried Filene's but their selection is limited for 40R flat-front suits with enough drop to prevent me looking like a clown. They're also thin on solids, featuring mainly odd stripes, checks or windowpanes.

I've yet to hit up Off-5th or Nordstorm Rack, since they're a ways away and I'm carless in DC. Would the chance at a Z Zegna or such be worth the drive?

Sorry for the rambling message, mainly wanted to figure out whether the Gilt suits are decent and if there might be better options out there.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hickey or BB = fine.
Avoid CK offers on Gilt, you will find Joseph A Bank to be a better suit than CK. So if you dont like your Jos A Bank suit, I cant imagine what you would think of CK.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The hickey suits that have been on Gilt are a very solid value, especially for someone looking for a basic suit in a youthful cut and style. hickey is no longer being made, though, so I don't know how much supply they have on hand.

Otherwise eBay or Brooks are both reasonable options.

bobbers

Reaction score
If you can wait, hit Filene's Basement at a suit event. You should be able to get an additional $100+ off a suit in that price range. The FB stores on Connecticut Ave and on Wisconsin have the best selections.

There is a DC area Nordstrom Rack is accessible to the carless, off of Pentagon City Metro next to Costco.

My choice would be to hit Neiman Marcus Last Call. Get on their e-mail list, and you can get notified when there are sales. Recently there was 40% off a single item coupon by e-mail. They have Hickey Freeman Madison at $600, coupon brings it down to $360 and you'd have money leftover for alterations. There's a new NMLC in Congressional Plaza in Rockville, a short walk from Twinbrook Metro. They had plain navy in my size last time I checked (though I'm bigger than 40R).

If you head all the way to Twinbrook Metro, you might as well stop by Syms. They have Hickey Freeman at around $450-$500. Wait for a Bash event or get a coupon (they recently sent me a 20% off any one item) by e-mail to take more off of that.

spidercan

Reaction score
I agree that Hickey suits are very good values, especially if you want something more fitted. However sizing is difficult, I've gone up close to 2 sizes in one, and with Gilt's return policy I would not chance it. If this is you're first good suit, I'd avoid the online route. I saw a few Hickey suits at Loehmann's and Last Call a while back.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kayaker
I've yet to hit up Off-5th or Nordstorm Rack, since they're a ways away and I'm carless in DC

1. Make friends with someone with a car.
2. Wait until the after christmas sale. Get said friend(s) to drive you down to Potomac Mills. Check out suit offerings.
3. ???
4. Profit.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Ehaberdasher.com has Benjamin suits for $500. Fully canvassed and very nice.

At 5'10 160lbs, you might want to make sure you aren't a 38R though rather than a 40R.

kayaker

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, all. I hadn't realized CK quality was so low. bobbers - thanks for all the DC-specific info, super helpful.

Are there any particular differences between NM Last Call, Saks Off-5th and Nordstrom Rack?

There's a Tommy Hillfiger offer for noon today, but I don't really have a high opinion of them. Given I thought CK was better than Jos A Bank I might just be completely off-base though, what are your opinions?

Also, should I take everyone's silence on the matter to mean that suits on sale at the above spots are superior to BB 1818?

kayaker

Reaction score
yeah, i'm fairly athletic so my shoulders typically dictate a 40R.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kayaker
Thanks for the help, all. I hadn't realized CK quality was so low. bobbers - thanks for all the DC-specific info, super helpful.

Are there any particular differences between NM Last Call, Saks Off-5th and Nordstrom Rack?

There's a Tommy Hillfiger offer for noon today, but I don't really have a high opinion of them. Given I thought CK was better than Jos A Bank I might just be completely off-base though, what are your opinions?

Also, should I take everyone's silence on the matter to mean that suits on sale at the above spots are superior to BB 1818?

I'd probably stay away from all those generic brands: Tommy, Perry Ellis, Nautica, CK - basically the stuff you would see in a Macy's department.

zerostyle

Reaction score
OP,

I am also in the DC area and have investigated all if these places.

Filenes basement is the most convenient and carries Hickey. Also, I believe there is a 20% off coupon floating around right now.

Saks also has great deals if you get the buy 1 get 1 free promotion.

Nordstrom rack has always had a poor selection imo.

One major problem is trying to find both your size and a staple color. Most of these places will only have some odd color / stripe combinations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads