• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking Better = Treated Better

tokyocean

Reaction score
Although we like to think that our workplaces and educational institutions look deeper for one's skills and inner qualities, it's unfortunately not always the case. We are often treated better if we happen to look better. I know this may be considered common sense or common knowledge by now, but what are your thoughts on this?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I get what the OPs saying, but ime I treat everyone the same way, with disdain.
anyway- "looking better" is subjective... whats more important and what really works from what I observe is confidence in yourself = better treatment

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The human experience isn't exclusively cognitive, and would certainly be quite bleak if it was, so I think it's perfectly legitimate, to an extent, to judge people based on their looks. While societies differ on specifics, a well-proportioned face generally correlates to good health and youthful attributes; but more importantly, it indicates the individual came from parents that had the means, resources, and good taste in that society to acquire a desirable mate to produce such spawn. We can rant all day how 'superficial' this is, but the fact is that humans invariably mate with others of the same attractiveness level, with very few exceptions; ...it's instinct.

But it only goes so far. I would say an attractive person is treated better initially in interactions, but if for instance it's a man, then his personality and mental capacities are going to matter a hell of a lot more as the interaction continues. If it's a woman, she'll continue to be treated well regardless, but if she's an idiot then it's only going to be a shallow level of coddling.

Bottom line is, as guys, we're stuck with our faces so it just comes down to clothing and grooming to try to slightly boost that first impression. All of which is dwarfed by the importance of being thoughtful, secure, patient, creative, etc...

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things generally don't level out over time. Two reasons are everything is filtered through previous interactions (e.g., halo effect) and most people don't get to see many others without their social masks.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Although we like to think that our workplaces and educational institutions look deeper for one's skills and inner qualities, it's unfortunately not always the case. We are often treated better if we happen to look better. I know this may be considered common sense or common knowledge by now, but what are your thoughts on this?

Why is it unfortunate that we are often treated better if we happen to look better? Do you think that people have any more control over their native intelligence than their in born physical looks? People don't ask to be born stupid any more than they ask to be born ugly.

I for one would rather work with attractive, well groomed people who care about their personal hygiene than ugly smelly slobs. And it would take a pretty big differential in competence to make me rather work with an ugly stinko in black square toed corrected grain shoes.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I get what the OPs saying, but ime I treat everyone the same way, with disdain.
anyway- "looking better" is subjective... whats more important and what really works from what I observe is confidence in yourself = better treatment

Bullshit, being hung like a donkey, or having a massive rack is what's more important and what really works from what I observe.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The human experience isn't exclusively cognitive, and would certainly be quite bleak if it was, so I think it's perfectly legitimate, to an extent, to judge people based on their looks. While societies differ on specifics, a well-proportioned face generally correlates to good health and youthful attributes; but more importantly, it indicates the individual came from parents that had the means, resources, and good taste in that society to acquire a desirable mate to produce such spawn. We can rant all day how 'superficial' this is, but the fact is that humans invariably mate with others of the same attractiveness level, with very few exceptions; ...it's instinct.

But it only goes so far. I would say an attractive person is treated better initially in interactions, but if for instance it's a man, then his personality and mental capacities are going to matter a hell of a lot more as the interaction continues. If it's a woman, she'll continue to be treated well regardless, but if she's an idiot then it's only going to be a shallow level of coddling.

Bottom line is, as guys, we're stuck with our faces so it just comes down to clothing and grooming to try to slightly boost that first impression. All of which is dwarfed by the importance of being thoughtful, secure, patient, creative, well hung etc...

FTFY

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is it unfortunate that we are often treated better if we happen to look better? Do you think that people have any more control over their native intelligence than their in born physical looks? People don't ask to be born stupid any more than they ask to be born ugly.

I for one would rather work with attractive, well groomed people who care about their personal hygiene than ugly smelly slobs. And it would take a pretty big differential in competence to make me rather work with an ugly stinko in black square toed corrected grain shoes.

You sure sound like a joy to work with.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can verify that being good looking, tall, well-dressed, but most of all, polite when necessary AND unnecessary, has led to my being treated better in certain circumstances.

It helps that I am a founding member of the Official StyleForvm Handsome Men's Club, too.

JayJay can confirm.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread needs to check its rich white cisgendered heteronormative privilege.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You sure sound like a joy to work with.

And you sound like an ugly stinko in black square toed corrected grain shoes.

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And you sound like an ugly stinko in black square toed corrected grain shoes.

You've spent almost 5 years masturbating to pictures of girls on styleforum. You have a history of homophobic comments.

Worst of all, you don't even wash your hands after you piss.

Why would you wash your hands after taking a piss? What is ********* filthy or something? Or do you tend to piss on yourself? Washing your hands before you piss, now that makes sense.

redface.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads