• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking at engagement rings and diamonds - Help!

clevertrees

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been shopping online for diamonds and engagement ring designs to get an idea of what styles I like best. BTW, I'm a female, but not much of a jewelry person so a lot of this is new to me!

I've read through a lot of sources about different types of metals, so I'm set in that area. My biggest concern is the diamond, since it is such a huge purchase, and every diamond is different. I'm not into a lot of bling or sparkle, so I don't want anything too big, and I'm 100% sure I don't want a bunch of little diamonds covering the ring.

I have done some homework on diamond basics so I know a little about the 4 Cs. I plan to go into jewelry stores and look at diamonds so I can see things like color and clarity for myself. Aside from that, though, I really don't know what else to look for when shopping around for diamonds!

Any tips or pointers? I would appreciate any advice you give me. Thanks!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Go to pricescope.com and learn about how to judge a diamond from the numbers--the 4 Cs are just the beginning, and can actually be quite misleading. Fortunately, once you've picked the shape of stone you want, you can reduce the search to a numbers game and find the stone you want online.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the most important things when it comes to a diamond is something called "make". This term covers the quality of the cut and finish. I've seen some nice stones C wise but the make was terrible. It was a dead stone, no life, no sparkle.

clevertrees

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
One of the most important things when it comes to a diamond is something called "make". This term covers the quality of the cut and finish. I've seen some nice stones C wise but the make was terrible. It was a dead stone, no life, no sparkle.

What do you mean by "C wise?" I know that there are 4 Cs that diamonds are graded on...carat, clarity, color, and cut. Were you referring to the cut?

I actually really like the look of Asscher cut and princess cut diamonds...there's something about the square shape that is appealing. I'll have to look at some in person, though.

Also, I was browsing around and saw a lot of people talk about getting grading reports for diamonds from labs. Does anyone know how these labs differ, or are they pretty much the same? I've seen GIA and AGS come up often. Any information on these two?

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clevertrees
What do you mean by "C wise?" I know that there are 4 Cs that diamonds are graded on...carat, clarity, color, and cut. Were you referring to the cut?

I actually really like the look of Asscher cut and princess cut diamonds...there's something about the square shape that is appealing. I'll have to look at some in person, though.

Also, I was browsing around and saw a lot of people talk about getting grading reports for diamonds from labs. Does anyone know how these labs differ, or are they pretty much the same? I've seen GIA and AGS come up often. Any information on these two?

+1 on http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/

Asscher is a great cut, but when I went to buy one the differences in the sort I could afford and the ones I liked were huge. For some reason the big ones had a depth that made them really special, which the smaller ones lacked.

Many women have strong feelings about Princess cuts.

Some women are clueless about what they want. If you don't know what she wants she might not either. Try and get someone to take her ring shopping so that she can see the options. My fiance thought she wanted certain things but when she saw them changed her mind.

Spending an extra grand on the mounting can make the ring.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jc138
If you don't know what she wants she might not either. Try and get someone to take her ring shopping so that she can see the options.

laugh.gif

BTW, I'm a female

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
laugh.gif

Excellent point. In that case you can ignore most of my prior advice.

You should definitely go to some places and look at things in person to see what you like. Princess and Asscher seem to me to be about as different as two cuts can get.

I really like the style of the plain, very simple, tiffany's ring. It is not for everyone though some people like more action, either something old or very modern.

Check out http://www.langantiques.com/type/5/
The site has some nice old rings. The new rings I have seen that I've liked have all been from small places in Manhattan and worn by people in far more interesting fields than I am, so I don't have anywhere to suggest.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Search is over. Graff Diamonds. She. will. faint.

clevertrees

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jc138
+1 on http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/

Asscher is a great cut, but when I went to buy one the differences in the sort I could afford and the ones I liked were huge. For some reason the big ones had a depth that made them really special, which the smaller ones lacked.

Thanks for the link!
Were the differences mostly in size? I have read that differences in clarity and/or color can really affect prices, more so than the size/carat weight. And honestly, I don't need a huge rock...I have pretty small fingers and I just want something simple but still elegant.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the link!
Were the differences mostly in size? I have read that differences in clarity and/or color can really affect prices, more so than the size/carat weight. And honestly, I don't need a huge rock...I have pretty small fingers and I just want something simple but still elegant.

Asschers need to be bigger in weight than the standard round brilliant in order to achieve a comparable presence on the finger. That's because a good Asscher, with a sufficient face-up surface are and well-defined facets, requires a good amount of depth and a pronounced bowl. They say that a perfectly cut Asscher (like a Royal Asscher) needs at least 1.5 carats to look right, while you need 2 carats or so for one that is not cut perfectly. Otherwise, the facets aren't clear enough and the stone tends to look lifeless.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Asschers need to be bigger in weight than the standard round brilliant in order to achieve a comparable presence on the finger. That's because a good Asscher, with a sufficient face-up surface are and well-defined facets, requires a good amount of depth and a pronounced bowl. They say that a perfectly cut Asscher (like a Royal Asscher) needs at least 1.5 carats to look right, while you need 2 carats or so for one that is not cut perfectly. Otherwise, the facets aren't clear enough and the stone tends to look lifeless.

Sounds like someone spent some time on Pricescope...
laugh.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Sounds like someone spent some time on Pricescope...
laugh.gif

Yep. A few years ago. It was time well spent, though not enjoyed.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

Yep. A few years ago. It was time well spent, though not enjoyed.

I spent 3 months on there... I know how you feel. It was somewhat enjoyable, as are most "hunts" for things, but there are some rather interesting women that post there.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
******* hell. The De Beers marketing people are gods among men.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I spent 3 months on there... I know how you feel. It was somewhat enjoyable, as are most "hunts" for things, but there are some rather interesting women that post there.

They generally have terrible taste. The rings are mostly vomit-inducing.

Originally Posted by Augusto86
******* hell. The De Beers marketing people are gods among men.

A novel insight. I'm glad someone has it all figured out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads