• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Longwing Shoes - In Style or Dated?

jamesjedi

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new here. Looking for advice.

Are the brown Longwing Allen Edmonds dated? Out of style?

Thanks for any input.

James

jamesjedi

Reaction score
No, it's a classic style. It may or may not go with your wardrobe, however.
Thanks for the reply. I was not sure.

Specifically what wardrobe? My understanding is that they are the most casual of the brogue shoe. My thinking was that a nice pair of denim would work and perhaps a sports coat or blazer?

Thanks again.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I was not sure.

Specifically what wardrobe? My understanding is that they are the most casual of the brogue shoe. My thinking was that a nice pair of denim would work and perhaps a sports coat or blazer?

Thanks again.

It's hard to speak in generalities like this because there are many different types of jeans and sport coats. But broadly, yes, I think that combo would work. It really just comes down to whether or not an outfit looks right. Sometimes an outfit looks like it would be better with a more causal shoe or different sport coat.

There's a thread on this forum dedicated to sport coat and denim combos.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/sport-coats-and-jeans.558335/

I generally think guys are better off wearing sport coats with tailored trousers. It's possible to do a sport coat and jeans combo, but you need to have an eye for things. Lots of times, guys combine those things and it just ends up looking a bit awkward.

Alv

Reaction score
Like Mr. dieworkwear said, it’s a classic. Are 5-pocket jeans dated?

Just like with denims , fits and materials have fallen in, and out of favor in the last 100 or so years, but the basic blue print still there.

Every brand makes its own iteration of the classic long wing, find a version that fits your budget, and wardrobe.

I will be more concern about the last, and if the proportions complements those of your trousers.

jamesjedi

Reaction score
Just to confirm, this is the style I was referring to. Thanks!
brogue.jpg

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look fine to me. I work in a casual environment and my cordovan Alden longings get more use than any of my other shoes (which are mostly loafers).

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My understanding is that they are the most casual of the brogue shoe.

The reason is that American versions of this design are traditionally of the 'gunboat' variety: double soles, extended welts and very solid lasts. You can take the design, but remove the extra-heavy components of making. You might not end-up with a ballroom shoe, but you'll have a smart town shoe.

Here is one that I had made a few years ago:

Longwing.png

Although this one is bespoke, there are European manufacturers who have the 'Longwing-light' in their catalogue. Edward Green does a very nice version and I've seen other manufacturers offering the style at the recent 'Super Trunk Show' in London.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers! Thanks to all who replied.
Proceed with caution!
Many people when they decide they want to up their style game (often around the same time as they discover this forum!) are eager to charge out with some new found knowledge and spend their hard earned cash on some goodies, only to regret their purchase a bit further down the line.

When I was at that stage I was rather taken by a pair of AE McNeils - scotch grain longwings in a medium tan colour. I’ve made many style mistakes and poorly thought out purchases in my time but for some reason I didn’t pull the trigger on these, for which I’m thankful.

As a general rule the lighter or more esoteric the shoe colour, the less versatile it is, with the possible exception of black. I used to own only black shoes, now I only have a couple of pairs which are rarely worn. I still like longwings and own McNeils in burgundy shell (usually worn as you suggest with a Donegal or herringbone tweed jacket and heavy chinos or dark jeans) and black calf, worn rarely.

Those scotch grain ones you posted look to have a fetching chilli / chestnut colour that will go well with stone chinos, dark tan moleskins or dark jeans. I’ve learned to plan out in my head exactly what outfits I intend to pair up with a potential new purchase before pulling the trigger to avoid wasting money on an unused item that would remain unworn in the back of the wardrobe.

Good luck, and post pics!

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The reason is that American versions of this design are traditionally of the 'gunboat' variety: double soles, extended welts and very solid lasts. You can take the design, but remove the extra-heavy components of making. You might not end-up with a ballroom shoe, but you'll have a smart town shoe.

Here is one that I had made a few years ago:

View attachment 1165478

Although this one is bespoke, there are European manufacturers who have the 'Longwing-light' in their catalogue. Edward Green does a very nice version and I've seen other manufacturers offering the style at the recent 'Super Trunk Show' in London.

As a quick example, long wing shoes can have a sleek look such a these:
blucher_brown_boxcalf_80474_l.jpg

Or have a slightly chunkier look with storm welts, double soles..

longwing_blucher_cordovan_8_532_l.jpg

Alv

Reaction score
What other jeans are there?
For instance, Mr Andromedon is wearing a 8-pocket version of the “Mississippi Tuxedo”, a more summer-friendly version of its Canadian cousin. Feel free to commission your own on Fresco, or Crispaire. Ideal for sipping some Pinot Noir or Lemonade on the porch. :tongue:

61477BEE-FED4-4181-A264-CD1D749DFEA1.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads