1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Longer Hair in Professional Enviroments?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Augusto86, Sep 26, 2006.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

What if you wore your hair as per in my avatar? It's unusally prim, and polished, which also might unsettle mainstream types.
    Only if he uses the cigarette holder.

2. TCN

TCN Distinguished Member

Are we talking long hair as in Axel Rose or as in Hugh Grant? I'm a lawyer (formerly with a law firm, now in-house counsel), and I've always had medium length hair (think Hugh in "The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill . . .", similar style too), and I've never received even a hint that it was inappropriate.

Now if you're talking pony tail length, then I would say unless you're some sort of flamboyant Plaintiff attorney who uses his individuality as marketing, then it probably would be frowned upon.

3. ComboOrgan

ComboOrgan Senior Member

When I graduated college a little over two years ago, I had long hair and sideburns.
    As I went about pounding the pavement looking for full-time work in IT, I got a lot of "sorry, we're not looking for interns" or "we need someone with more experience" (the latter before even looking at my resume).

You're already fighting an uphill battle to be taken seriously because you're so young, so you need to do what you can to shed the "kid" image.

When I finally cut my hair, I got three job offers shortly after, and most of my college friends thought it looked better short anyway.
    But save some "before" pictures so you can still show people what a rebellious youth you were [​IMG]

4. skalogre

skalogre Distinguished Member

I do not know about the U.S.
    However, I think that in countries like Spain, Germany or Sweden, your long hair would not be a problem.

Same in Greece & Cyprus.

5. Carey

Carey Senior Member

When I graduated college a little over two years ago, I had long hair and sideburns. As I went about pounding the pavement looking for full-time work in IT, I got a lot of "sorry, we're not looking for interns" or "we need someone with more experience" (the latter before even looking at my resume). You're already fighting an uphill battle to be taken seriously because you're so young, so you need to do what you can to shed the "kid" image. When I finally cut my hair, I got three job offers shortly after, and most of my college friends thought it looked better short anyway. But save some "before" pictures so you can still show people what a rebellious youth you were [​IMG]
    I agree with ComboOrgan. Find a real well respected professional stylist, no Supercuts/HairCuttery place, and tell him you are job hunting in your career field, and that you want a stylish professional cut. After you get the job you want, then decide whether or not to grow it back. It is a hell of a lot easier to change your appearence, than it is to change other peoples minds. Sometimes you have to conform to get ahead. Being a mature adult is when you can eat shit with a smile on your face, and everyone has to eat it at some point in their career. Hair is easy to grow, getting the job of your choice with an unconvetional appearence is not. I mean no offense, because your a good looking guy. But you can't stay married to that hair, unless you can make your own way. Maybe it is time for a change. I had to do the same thing when I graduated from college in 1983. I really ended up looking better with short hair, and the positive reaction from women confirmed it.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

Only if he uses the cigarette holder.
    It's essential for filtering Turkish cigarettes. No, really, when I do smoke on very few occassions ( I never could get addicted), I like these unfiltered Turkish cigarettes.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

It's essential for filtering Turkish cigarettes.

No, really, when I do smoke on very few occassions ( I never could get addicted), I like these unfiltered Turkish cigarettes.

I have some Turkish friends who would not agree about the necessity of the filter/holder.

8. LabelKing

I have some Turkish friends who would not agree about the necessity of the filter/holder.
    It's healthier, in the most ironic sense.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

I never could get addicted

Were you trying to?

Jon.

10. Ed13

Ed13 Senior Member

I had lond short hair through most of University and grew my hair to pony tail length in time to get a job when I was done. I worked in sales with many stodgy customers. I saw the hair as helping my customers remember me over the other people trying to get their business. Some were put off by the hair at first, but persistence and expertise in my field overcame initial attitudes.

I now own my own company and still have a pony tail. Quality of work goes a lot further than the length of your hair.

11. LabelKing

Were you trying to?

Jon.

No, but most people do tend to become addicted in a short time whether or not they want to.

12. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Distinguished Member

Hate to tell you this: in the several careers I've had, I've worked with one employee with hair that long, and he had an "in" via a relative.

It positions you as someone who either doesn't want to play the game, or, worse, doesn't know there's a game to be played.

13. kolecho

kolecho Distinguished Member

It depends on the organization and job function you hold. In general, creative types can get away with it. Accountants probably can't. Personally, I just find it too cumbersome to maintain.[​IMG]

14. familyman

familyman Senior Member

There's a difference between long hair and merely shaggy hair. If you've just got a shaggy hair cut (and from that picture that's what I'd call it) then it's really no problem to trim it up a bit for interviews and such. Once at the job it should be pretty easy to determine if you can let it go for a bit or if you need to maintain a shorter style. If you've got a good boss you'll probably get a 'looking a bit shaggy there' comment to let you know he/she thinks it's getting out of hand.
    If you have long hair on the other hand you've got to decide if you're ready to let it go forever. Professional life is no place to let your hair grow out to pony tail lenght, if you cut it you're not going to be able to grow it out again, once it's gone it's gone. I have long hair. Get it stuck in my belt long. I always wear it in a braid or more lately in a bun whenever I leave the house. It's a much cleaner neater appearance once it's really long. I worked in the oil industry and did have a few issues interviewing with long hair. The guys who didn't hire me bacuase of my long hair wouldn't have been pleasant working for anyway. When I did find a company that liked me for my resume and my interview I found a boss that was pretty good to work under and it was never an issue. Like all things clothing/image, you should know what sort of image you portray and how that is likely to affect what you're doing.

15. TCN

TCN Distinguished Member

Same in Greece & Cyprus.

Cyprus????? Good Lord, my Father is from Paphos.