Long Weekend Getaway Ideas

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nate10184, Mar 16, 2009.

1. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

My GF has been really stressed by work lately and wants to take a day or two off, of course I'm the one doing the planning. Any good getaways for a long weekend? We'll probably go some time in mid-April. NY is the starting point.

Last fall we did three days in Boston which was a lot of fun and really easy to get to from NY. She said she's not interested in Philly or DC which would be the other logical choices. I guess we could fly somewhere but I don't want to spend a ton of money. Chicago is one option but I don't know how the weather is going to be in April. Any ideas?

2. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

You could get away to a cabin in the Addorondacks, or Maine/Vermont or something. Savannah or Charleston would also be very nice that time of year.

3. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

You could get away to a cabin in the Addorondacks, or Maine/Vermont or something. Savannah or Charleston would also be very nice that time of year.

This is actually exactly what I'm looking at right now. Neither one of us have a car so we'd have to go via train or bus. Are the Adirondacks reachable by public transport?

4. romafan

romafan Senior member

I think there's a Canyon Ranch outpost in the Berkshires

Mohonk Mountain House up in New Palz

Old Drovers Inn is nearby in Colombia County (I think)

Fly to Portland and go up the ME coast

Newport

If it's a warm spring, pre-season Block, Shelter or Fishers Islands

5. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

I just went to providence, RI for the weekend with my girlfriend, the zoo was fun... everything else I don't recommend! All in All our weekend cost under $300 with hotel+food+transportation... for both of us, and we stayed in one of the best hotels in the city...

6. chas

chas Senior member

+1 on Charleston. I've never been to Savannah but Charleston in April would be beautiful. A total change of pace from NYC.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Toronto or Montreal. Both are accessible by train.

8. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

Toronto or Montreal. Both are accessible by train.

Good suggestions though because of her visa I'm pretty sure she can't leave the country without major headaches.

9. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

+1 on Montreal. You could even drive. My wife and I have gone there for long weekends twice (by car from New Jersey) and enjoyed it both times.

10. randallr

randallr Senior member

11. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

check out vrbo.com

its got rentals in it, if you want a 'get away'

if youre in NYC - go out to the hamptons or north fork, rent a place on the beach for the weekend and just chill

12. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

Bump. Looking to go somewhere close (4-5 hr drive) for the July 4th weekend. Leaving from northern NJ. Have never been up north to NE states. I know there is a ton out there, but I need some ideas to get me started. Ideally, we would like to rent a cabin or a cottage rather than to live in a hotel. Cooking our own food and bringing our own booze would be great. Looking for some boating, hiking, light trail biking type activities, but mostly just looking for a relaxing place.

Any suggestions?

13. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Bump. Looking to go somewhere close (4-5 hr drive) for the July 4th weekend. Leaving from northern NJ. Have never been up north to NE states. I know there is a ton out there, but I need some ideas to get me started. Ideally, we would like to rent a cabin or a cottage rather than to live in a hotel. Cooking our own food and bringing our own booze would be great. Looking for some boating, hiking, light trail biking type activities, but mostly just looking for a relaxing place.

Any suggestions?

You could look into the Lake George area of NY. A lot of outdoor things to do. Camping, cabin rentals, boating/fishing, trail riding etc. It's easily accessible and not in the boonies, yet still has that outdoorsy feel (as long as you're not staying in town!).

Saratoga Springs has some really cute parts of town, is relatively close to Lake George, has the racetrack, along with some pretty decent restaurants and bars.

14. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor