• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long Wallet For Men?

CallmeBob

Reaction score
I''m looking for a new wallet and this time I want the long one for several reasons. I personally feel like it looks nicer and I can fit more cards. I'm considering the gucci long snake wallet right now. However, is it okay for a guy to use long wallet and is the gucci snake wallet consider to feminine.
PS. Recommend me a long wallet please (No bottega or LV because everyone use it)

ThomGault

Reaction score
I prefer to not pay an excess just for a name brand; instead I'd rather have durable goods. I've had good luck with Bosca, and they make a long wallet (https://bosca.com/coat-pocket-wallet-4201.html). Of course, from the design you picked on the example wallet, it's clear that your tastes are different from mine, as I prefer natural-looking leather goods. A patina'ed leather is the only design I desire.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

However, is it okay for a guy to use long wallet and is the gucci snake wallet consider to feminine.

To answer the second question first, yes, that Gucci wallet strikes me as being extremely feminine. And if someone else says a man can carry it, or that there's no such things as "masculine" or "feminine" because these are just arbitrary constructs, or whatever... well, then my completely arbitrary, personal, utterly subjective opinion is that the wallet in question is way feminine. If I found it on the sidewalk one morning and that evening someone were to ask me if anything unusual had happened to me that day, I'd begin my answer with, "I found a woman's wallet on the sidewalk."

Now, as to the first question - it's absolutely okay to use a long wallet. Long wallets, in the form of the suit wallet (aka breast pocket wallet) is a time tested men's accessory, of impeccable pedigree. If you're wearing a suit, a sport coat, a blazer, etc., opt for a suit wallet and you've no need to second guess your decision. Pictures of a couple of examples, below. But there are many makes and models from which to choose. To the extent I'd offer any general advice about which ones to consider, I'd suggest (1) simplicity; and (2) quality. Cool (that's the old fashioned form of the word "kewl") features, more often than not, are best avoided. Same way that I'd suggest most of the time one should avoid cool features on one's shoes, suit, etc. But hey, that's just my take on it.

I can fit more cards

Few things ruin the look and line and comfort of a good wallet, than stuffing it full of unnecessary cards. Most people carry too damn many cards as it is. For example, carrying a Social Security card (which 99+% of the time, is better off left safe at home), 7 different supermarket discount cards, an oil change discount card (since I won't be using that card without my car, the card should be left in the car, not in my wallet), various membership cards for places I rarely visit, membership cards for places I only go to by car (another example of "leave it in the car"), etc.

I even recall a Seinfeld episode where the whole idea of carrying around tons of cards and papers in one's wallet was mocked. George was the guilty party, of course. And if a practice is so ridiculous that it was mocked by Seinfeld, and the perpetrator was George, it's almost definitely a practice to avoid.

Yes, some cards are likely necessary. But usually fewer than the average person carries with him. Pare down the "wallet gear" you tote around on a daily basis.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Michael - at least in the U.S. I would associate a long wallet with a woman. One of the best decisions I made a number of years ago was changing my wallet to a Mitchell Moneyclip wallet - something that I can carry in my front pocket. No more horrible outline in your back pocket.

No more "George" wallet containing everything you own.

Now, you might not want to go minimalist, but I would definitely recommend against going towards the long wallet.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DO get a "long" wallet if you regularly (i.e. every day) wear suit/ sport coat/ blazer

DO NOT get a "long" wallet if the only reason to do so is to cram more stuff in

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DO get a "long" wallet if you regularly (i.e. every day) wear suit/ sport coat/ blazer

DO NOT get a "long" wallet if the only reason to do so is to cram more stuff in
Honestly, when should a man get a long wallet? Where do people carry such wallets?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The wallet is carried in the inside breast pocket of your suit jacket / sport coat / blazer.

ThomGault

Reaction score

Honestly, when should a man get a long wallet?  Where do people carry such wallets?

Where wouldn't you carry such a wallet when you're wearing a blazer or jacket?? Clearly, it's not made for a hip pocket in a trousers, but otherwise it's just a nicer, more formal accessory.

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wallet is carried in the inside breast pocket of your suit jacket / sport coat / blazer.
Ah - I had to re-read your original post several times -my mind kept seeing DO NOT in both lines. Yes, I agree that a coat pocket is the only place you would keep such a wallet. Which means - what do you do when you aren't wearing your suit? I would say very few men wear a suit every time they leave the house. Having 1 wallet for work and then moving everything to a secondary wallet for every other time you leave the house seems a bit odd to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads