• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long-term stay (hotels)

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have experience negotiating the rate for a long-term stay?

I'll be checking in for close to 90 days and want to make sure I get as many tips for getting the best rate possible. I've been told that its best to negotiate directly with the GM.

Should I be asking for something in addition to a F&B credit, laundry/dry cleaning, parking credit?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My parents owned a hotel.... Unless you're staying in a place with 90+% occupancy you can probably get a fairly sizable discount for a stay that long. And yes, talk directly to a decision maker. Oh and season will play a big part assuming you're not staying in a place that has relatively flat occupancy all year. In the low season they'll be willing to rent for quite a bit less than their standard rate.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
My parents owned a hotel.... Unless you're staying in a place with 90+% occupancy you can probably get a fairly sizable discount for a stay that long. And yes, talk directly to a decision maker. Oh and season will play a big part assuming you're not staying in a place that has relatively flat occupancy all year. In the low season they'll be willing to rent for quite a bit less than their standard rate.
Thanks. I'll be checking in early-mid July in Los Angeles

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
Thanks. I'll be checking in early-mid July in Los Angeles

FWIW, hotels frequently book rooms out at lower rates than advertised. That's how those discount sites get such good rates. What typically happens is a hotel will look at their previous years for certain times of years and see what their occupancy is. They'll then reserve a certain amount of their excess capacity to get for discount sites to get occupancy up. The marginal costs involved in booking a room to someone are almost nothing, so pretty much anything they charge is good for them.

LA in mid-july you might be **** out of luck though. Even so, the fact that you're gonna be there 90 days weighs strongly in your favor. Check to see if rates drop in Sept and do the math on the differential. I'd suggest this could be the first of many such trips. Hotels are like any other business if they're well run in that good repeat customers are desirable. That said there's always the risk someone will check out early which kinda ********** hotel if they got a really preferential rate when they were otherwise very busy, so take that into account.

The advertised rate will always be higher because I think in a lot of places (at leat it was like this where we had our hotel), a hotel can't all of a sudden charge more because they happen to be full. There were cards on the back of the doors even saying what the rates were supposed to be for customers to check (this was by law), so hotels would put the price higher and rent lower when they had to.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
FWIW, hotels frequently book rooms out at lower rates than advertised. That's how those discount sites get such good rates. What typically happens is a hotel will look at their previous years for certain times of years and see what their occupancy is. They'll then reserve a certain amount of their excess capacity to get for discount sites to get occupancy up. The marginal costs involved in booking a room to someone are almost nothing, so pretty much anything they charge is good for them. LA in mid-july you might be **** out of luck though. Even so, the fact that you're gonna be there 90 days weighs strongly in your favor. Check to see if rates drop in Sept and do the math on the differential. I'd suggest this could be the first of many such trips. Hotels are like any other business if they're well run in that good repeat customers are desirable. That said there's always the risk someone will check out early which kinda ********** hotel if they got a really preferential rate when they were otherwise very busy, so take that into account. The advertised rate will always be higher because I think in a lot of places (at leat it was like this where we had our hotel), a hotel can't all of a sudden charge more because they happen to be full. There were cards on the back of the doors even saying what the rates were supposed to be for customers to check (this was by law), so hotels would put the price higher and rent lower when they had to.
Thanks for that info... July isn't the best time to be doing this but that is the way it has worked out. I won't really be negotiating them against a competitor bc I only stay in one hotel in whenever I'm there and preferably in the same room if I can. Very much a creature of habit here
smile.gif
I have certainly learned about the high rack rate. In the past on 1-2wk stays they have reduced the room rate by $3-400night on average which shocked me. I'll look at the rates as you suggest Do you think its a good strategy to request certain credits in lieu of a more reduction on the rate at a certain point? I was thinking that it may be more favorable for the hotel to give a credit since I may not use it. No doubt the F&B will be major even if I can get one of the rooms with a kitchen

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Corporate housing will be cheaper and nicer than a hotel. In 2002, I spent one month in corporate housing in West L.A. after spending one month in a hotel in downtown L.A.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you're staying at a place where you're getting points ala Starwood, etc, be sure to check the fine print on the terms regarding long term stays. SPG has a 30 day limit after which you don't earn points. Of course you can check out for a day and come back and restart the clock.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Corporate housing will be cheaper and nicer than a hotel. In 2002, I spent one month in corporate housing in West L.A. after spending one month in a hotel in downtown L.A.

This is what I was going to suggest.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

I must disagree with that statement but I can understand that you were happy to leave downtown.

I did do a search for a short-term rental but really nothing available that meets the standard.

Originally Posted by zippyh
If you're staying at a place where you're getting points ala Starwood, etc, be sure to check the fine print on the terms regarding long term stays. SPG has a 30 day limit after which you don't earn points. Of course you can check out for a day and come back and restart the clock.

Thanks. I won't be getting any hotel points but that is good information to have for the future

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
I must disagree with that statement but I can understand that you were happy to leave downtown.

I did do a search for a short-term rental but really nothing available that meets the standard.

Thanks. I won't be getting any hotel points but that is good information to have for the future

Unless you are staying on some small private hotel, why wouldn't you take points?

That should be enough to earn you status in any program...as for the fine print on stay limits, you can often get someone to check you in as a new stay, especially if you are there for that long and the staff likes you. You can probably even get them to do it without actually moving your room...and high status often gets you things you can't quite buy (like easier negotiations in the future because they already know you can throw down and pay for 90 nights rather than having to trust your word).

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Unless you are staying on some small private hotel, why wouldn't you take points? That should be enough to earn you status in any program...as for the fine print on stay limits, you can often get someone to check you in as a new stay, especially if you are there for that long and the staff likes you. You can probably even get them to do it without actually moving your room...and high status often gets you things you can't quite buy (like easier negotiations in the future because they already know you can throw down and pay for 90 nights rather than having to trust your word).
I won't be getting points because they aren't offered. The hotel doesn't have a "loyalty program" so to speak. I'll be paying each month in advance which helps me save on the 14% city tax and provides some assurance for the hotel. Service is always great so I'm not concerned about that Once this negotiating process is done I hope I can share some insights into this process that might help others doing the same

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hoping this is a bungalow at the CM.

lefty

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I hoping this is a bungalow at the CM. lefty
It isn't but I thought about it. The hotel I prefer is more of a luxury property than the CM. It will definitely be a villa w/kitchen

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last time I was there I had a lovely conversation with the very lovely Scarlett J. That's got to be worth putting up with a place that's a little tired.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads