• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long haired/Wavy haired people...

GeeGee

Reaction score
I'm growing my hair out for about 3 months now, the top is about 2 or 2.5 inches, the back is about 1 or 1.5 inches. The problem I have is the end of my mane curls upward most of the time, and it drives me crazy, nothing can make it stay down completely(even flattening iron, too short). My question is: will this stop as my hair gets longer or will it get worst? What can I do to make it stay down in the mean time?

Thanks in advance.

ts4them

Reaction score
First off, I'm loving that you actually flat iron your hair. Secondly, you probably need to go in for a trim and have the layers realigned to the new length. This will help but might not be enough depending on a lot of factors.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have unforgivably curly/wavy hair that is only wavy/curly enough to be annoying, I have found that growing it out much more it gets worse, kind of. I say grow it a bit more and try some straightening products (shampoos and gel/pomade) and see what happens

GeeGee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ts4them
First off, I'm loving that you actually flat iron your hair. Secondly, you probably need to go in for a trim and have the layers realigned to the new length. This will help but might not be enough depending on a lot of factors.
My friend told me about this but I didn't care much for it. He has never had long hair, but after hearing it twice this is what I actually might do. I think I made it sound as if it is as if my hair is actually curly on my mane, which is not the case. My hair is very dry, wirey and frizzy, I think that's the main factor for it doing that. Some days it is worst than others, for instance, right now my mane isn't curling but it is quite puffy. I think my problem has more to do with my hair texture rather than my hair type, I don't really know, though. Might I mind you, the hair on top of my head is not curly at all, only slightly wavy.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
id let it grow another 5 inches and then see how it looks. my hair is ****** at 2 1/2", but at the length now its great

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
It will get a little better but never totally. I have the same kind of hair, and after a lot of perseverance it has improved. I now have shoulder-length hair, but it's still problematic. Sometimes I look like this:

n9801748_30800551_6100.jpg

But a lot of the time like this:

n9801748_30800360_9693.jpg

My advice - get some product that will weigh it down a bit. Don't wash your hair every day - I get mine wet, but let it dry under a bandana and only shampoo every third day. Brush it out, get it slightly wet and put the product in while it's wet.

GeeGee

Reaction score
Very puffy. I'm not growing mine that length, though. I'm going for something along the lines of:
haircut2ef5.jpg
^ his mane looks a lot like mine, but longer or I want this:
haircut1tu4.jpg
Slight curl at bottom

Augusto86

Reaction score
Keep in mind there is a LOT of product in that hair. You have to work a lot to look like that, no one rolls out of bed with that hair.

I saw the "Making Of" of Desperado once - if you've seen the movie, you know Antonio Banderas has his trademark "driving rain" shoulder-length mane. Well, in the making-of he comes onto set to practice an action scene under Rodriguez's direction, and when he walks in he hasn't done make up and he has a cold. And his hair was a giant puffy fuzzball ponytail, looking absolutely absurd.

So if you want to look like that, prepare to spend some time in front of the mirror every morning.

GeeGee

Reaction score
I'm well aware that you need product to create those styles, and I'm willing to sacrifice time. I did before when I had shorter hair, took me about half an hour to get it just the way I want. Desperado is a great movie by the way, and Bandera's hair looked great.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
half an hour on your hair? wow. ive spent half an hour on mine over tha past 9 months.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
half an hour on your hair? wow. ive spent half an hour on mine over tha past 9 months.

Trust us, we can tell...
devil.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same type of hair and it gets curlier when humidity is up. I spent my early teens and twenties trying to make my hair straight
smile.gif
What a fool.
Anyway model shots that you posted have some product, but depending on your hair type you might accomplish this style of hair without much time invested.
I use L'Oreal curl shampoo and occasionally use generic gel on wet hair or Lancome antifreeze treatment.
I use it on wet hair and style it without using a comb. Good comb from say Crab Tree store is a very important as you can freeze and split a lot of hair with a regular Wal-Mart-combs.
Augusto you are missing a lot of chicks with that length. Wear it shorter. Easier to style and actually looks much better on Boston windy days.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Tell me about Boston, jesus...biggest problem I have.

I'm not looking for chicks right now, I have a g/f and she digs it.

ts4them

Reaction score
GeeGee- if your hair is puffy/dry looking, you should try a product by John Frieda called Secret Weapon, you put it on when your hair is dry. It's not heavy at all and doesn't have a product-y feel to it. You can get it at drugstores.

GeeGee

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation ts4them, greatly appreciated. I'll check it out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads