• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long-awaited sunscreen approved for sale

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Do you know if there were any specific health concerns being looked at by the FDA?
Maybe it's your hometown paper, but I'm mildly amused by the idea of this story being "broken" by a Minnesota newspaper . . .

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Do you know if there were any specific health concerns being looked at by the FDA?
Maybe it's your hometown paper, but I'm mildly amused by the idea of this story being "broken" by a Minnesota newspaper . . .

It's an AP story picked up off the wire.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stax
It's an AP story picked up off the wire.
Yeah, thanks. I didn't mean to suggest it was original to that paper. I was just struck by the totally superficial and fundamentally meaningless incongruity . . .

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Yeah, thanks. I didn't mean to suggest it was original to that paper. I was just struck by the totally superficial and fundamentally meaningless incongruity . . .
laugh.gif

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the FDA really doesn't provide comment as to why it only took them 15 years to approve mexoryl SX but you'd think that during that time, everyone in europe to australia to canada has had access and use of it and no one seems to be dead from it so who knows what they were looking at or if lobbying came to play given it's patented by l'oreal and only l'oreal products will have mexoryl in it so maybe non-patent holders were lobbying to hold it up, but i'm just guessing and have no idea

from what i have read, it also only took the FDA 20 years to approve avobenzone in sunscreen so they just seem to be very careful/slow/whatever ..... so 15 years isn't so bad

quoting from someone in the know from menessentials.com, there are actually better ingredients that act as UVA absorbers, such as tinosorb S and tinosorb M, uvinol A Plus and neo heliopan AP, but none have been approved by the FDA so maybe in 10 years given their current approval rate ....

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
someone explain to me how man survived, and thrived, for thousands of years without sunscreen or sunglasses, and now people feel that these things are absolutely necessary.

kever

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
someone explain to me how man survived, and thrived, for thousands of years without sunscreen or sunglasses, and now people feel that these things are absolutely necessary.

Man created holes in the ozone layer?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, the difference is whether you want to live until you're 40 or 80. I prefer the latter.

Hmm...I should take my own advice and buy some sunscreens. I'm just too damn lazy to put them on when I go outside. Anyone know if they put sunscreen into shampoo or soap? Sorta like do it once a day and you're protected for 24 hrs.

mr_economy

Reaction score

1. Average lifespan for much of Man's existence was far less than what it would have taken for cancer to set in from sun exposure.

2. It was long into its existence that Man decided it would be a good idea to burn holes in the ozone.

Aus_MD

Reaction score

You will probably find that there were not many people with very fair skin living in the tropics until fairly recently.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aus_MD
You will probably find that there were not many people with very fair skin living in the tropics until fairly recently.
i'm not talking about putting on sunscreen to lay on the beach in tahiti. i'm talking about people wearing spf as an everyday thing in north america and europe. the 'experts' are also telling black people that they need to use sunscreen everyday.

perhaps the ozone layer is the reason. i'm not claiming to know, i'm just suspicious.

Aus_MD

Reaction score
i'm not talking about putting on sunscreen to lay on the beach in tahiti. i'm talking about people wearing spf as an everyday thing in north america and europe. the 'experts' are also telling black people that they need to use sunscreen everyday.

perhaps the ozone layer is the reason. i'm not claiming to know, i'm just suspicious.

In evolutionary terms skin color is thought to be determined through a balance of selective pressures related to the harmful and beneficial effects of UV radiation. We "survived" in previous eras because our skin colour was appropriate to the latitudes in which we lived. We encounter problems now because we expose ourselves to more UVR than our skin was "designed" to cope with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads