• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London School of Economics

Jorgeezy

Reaction score
Since a lot of the users here are based in the US I thought it would be a good place to ask...

Do people in the US recognise LSE as much as Oxbridge?

I am hoping to study there starting September (I should hear from them any time in the next 3 months) and was just curious.

Jorge

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Since a lot of the users here are based in the US I thought it would be a good place to ask...

Do people in the US recognise LSE as much as Oxbridge?

I am hoping to study there starting September (I should hear from them any time in the next 3 months) and was just curious.

Jorge

No. I think most Americans would think of Oxford and Cambridge as being in a category by themselves.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LSE was quite famous in Lybia at one point.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strictly speaking about economics, LSE is as prestige as Oxford and Cambridge. However, people outside of the econ community often don't know much about LSE.

legorogel

Reaction score
LSE is great, HR ppl will know about the reputation dont worry.

Good Luck gettin in tough.

Last edited:

Jorgeezy

Reaction score
Thanks guys. That pretty much answers it :)

Yeah, getting the offer and actually making the offer is the next step haha, I already have some from other Uni's but LSE is the dream!

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys. That pretty much answers it :)

Yeah, getting the offer and actually making the offer is the next step haha, I already have some from other Uni's but LSE is the dream!

Which ones?

Jorgeezy

Reaction score
Bath (which I will firm, given rejections from the London Uni's) and Nottingham (as my insurance choice, but I doubt I will mess up my exams)

I am really fond of the campus at Bath and the head lecturer of Mathematics is Geoff Smith MBE who chairs the British Mathematical Olympiad, so I won't be massively disheartened if I have to firm there instead.

I have also applied to UCL, which I believe is highly rated for its research and could lead to a masters in the US :)

It would be great to live in London for 3 years (and the living costs fairly insignificant with the higher degree prices anyway) so I am hoping to get an offer from either LSE for Maths with Econ or UCL for Mathematics.

I'm also in discussions with a guy who works in the FS who is going to set me up with 4 sets of work experience via his contacts, over this summer after my exams and the 3 summers of my degree course in different sectors so that when I am finally applying for jobs I have a decent portfolio :D

/life story over

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bath (which I will firm, given rejections from the London Uni's) and Nottingham (as my insurance choice, but I doubt I will mess up my exams)

I am really fond of the campus at Bath and the head lecturer of Mathematics is Geoff Smith MBE who chairs the British Mathematical Olympiad, so I won't be massively disheartened if I have to firm there instead.

I have also applied to UCL, which I believe is highly rated for its research and could lead to a masters in the US :)

It would be great to live in London for 3 years (and the living costs fairly insignificant with the higher degree prices anyway) so I am hoping to get an offer from either LSE for Maths with Econ or UCL for Mathematics.

I'm also in discussions with a guy who works in the FS who is going to set me up with 4 sets of work experience via his contacts, over this summer after my exams and the 3 summers of my degree course in different sectors so that when I am finally applying for jobs I have a decent portfolio :D

/life story over

What's that? Are you British or American? I don't think UCL is that well regarded here, maybe because it has a couple of better universities right next door rather so it doesn't get the attention it deserves. Nottingham is the worst place in the UK for gun crime and its a fairly expensive place to get around, also the campus is out of town so you'll have to get the bus or drive each day to lectures. If you are thinking of (eventually) doing a masters in maths do it as an undergrad, in this country we don't have many taught maths postgraduate courses but I can't talk about the US.

Jorgeezy

Reaction score
I'm British.

I know Imperial is rated for Physics and Maths but I think UCL is pretty boss for Maths nowadays too. (And if you weren't talking about Imperial I am stumped)

Yeah, Nottingham is a back up (It would be foolish to apply to all Uni's asking for A*'s and A's) but nonetheless it is regarded as around 10th for Maths in a few tables for the UK and has some pretty decent links to employers.

Where are you from?

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm British.

I know Imperial is rated for Physics and Maths but I think UCL is pretty boss for Maths nowadays too. (And if you weren't talking about Imperial I am stumped)

Yeah, Nottingham is a back up (It would be foolish to apply to all Uni's asking for A*'s and A's) but nonetheless it is regarded as around 10th for Maths in a few tables for the UK and has some pretty decent links to employers.

Where are you from?

Leeds now living in the midlands. Where are you from? I meant Imperial. I don't like London so I never really looked at their universities, as far as I'm aware LSE and Imperial are second to Oxford and Cambridge in their disciplines.

I'd ignore what the tables say and look at employability, the tables take into account what the students say about the local nightlife and other things completely unrelated to how well your degree will be viewed at the end of it, like how many people apply to it (I heard Nottingham is the most overrated from this because its quite close to the centre of the country and is easy to get to for most people in Yorkshire and the Midlands).

Ask students what they think of the university because some students will say its amazing when the Times asks them but say its **** when they know it won't have any affect on their degree. Universities tend to lower the grades they ask for for postgrad if you went there for undergrad as well, if you stay in the same department you are almost guaranteed to get in.

Have a look at how they work out the grades too, at Sheffield they average the class mark at 60 in the first year and after that they look at each persons average score and work out the average of these average scores for each class, then have that as the average mark in that class, which means if everybody gets 100 in every module everybody gets a 2:1, and if you do a class filled with people who haven't done well your mark gets dragged down. That seemed to be a Sheffield maths department thing, I've not heard of any other department doing the same but I'd ask about it all the same.

Jorgeezy

Reaction score
Sweet, I'm in the midlands too, not too far from Worcester :)

And what you say is very true, Nottingham is just an insurance for if I somehow didn't make the offer for whichever I firm.

I have straight A's at AS level and I think I wrote a pretty decent Personal Statement, so I can just hope for the best really!

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So have you competed in Math Olympiads before?

Last edited:

Jorgeezy

Reaction score
Only in the Senior Mathematical Challenge where I achieved Gold, but my score for the Gold wasn't high enough to get invited to the Olympiad (Around the top 800)

I was referencing it because being chair of the Olympiad shows his ability and all Mathematics undergrads at Bath will be taught by him :)

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Only in the Senior Mathematical Challenge where I achieved Gold, but my score for the Gold wasn't high enough to get invited to the Olympiad (Around the top 800)

I was referencing it because being chair of the Olympiad shows his ability and all Mathematics undergrads at Bath will be taught by him :)

You have a great future in front of you..

LSE will be a great choice..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads