• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London recommendations - early Feburary

ville_e

Reaction score
I have already previously posted a similar thread on London recommendations but I'd greatly appreciate it if you could recommend some interesting shops, restaurants and events, museums etc. (first week of February). Thanks everyone!

ville_e

Reaction score
It would be great to hear some updated recommendations!
smile.gif

jnm23q

Reaction score
Shirts
Hilditch & Key, Emma Willis, Harvie Hudson (Jermyn St)
Turnbull and Asser (Jermyn St although the staff in the Harrods concession are nicer)
Kiton (Clifford St) if you want to break the bank
Harrods and Selfridges have a good range too - Selfridges carry Truzzi, RLPL. Harrods have Zegna Couture and Canali exclusive

Trousers
Cordings of Piccadilly

Marks and Spencers have some decent suits for £500 made with Zegna fabric

For casual wear try Urban Outfitters at Oxford Circus

Restaurants top end
Hakkasan (upmarket Chinese / fusion) - NoHo
Cinnamon Club (modern Indian) - Westminster
Maze Grill (steak) - Mayfair
L'anima (Italian) - City

Restaurants mid range
Busaba (Thai) - chain
Strada (Italian) - chain

Have fun!

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Racine is a wonderful French bistro across from the Victoria & Albert Museum and nearby the Natural History Museum (itself a must-see IMO). Racine was Restaurant of the Year runner-up a few years back and I make it a point to return on almost every visit as it represents tremendous quality and value. The roast rabbit leg with mustard sauce is making my mouth water as I write this...

Moti Mahal in Convent Garden is an upmarket Indian establishment right in the theater district. I went there myself for the first time a few months ago on the strong recommendation of my boss (himself an Indian). While you could hike over to Brick Lane for an excellent curry, Moti Mahal retains the culinary authenticity in a much more convenient location, with tasteful decor, a wide range of wine and spirits, and attentive service.

While they don't have a website, Four Seasons on the pedestrian-only Gerrard Street in Chinatown (Leicester Square) is famous for their roasted duck. Produce and seafood is extremely fresh, and the wait staff speak English. I will go here myself when back in London next week. Hakkasan mentioned earlier in the thread is a better option for a night on the town (though reservations are tough), while the focus of Four Seasons is moreso on the food itself, and represents a terrific value.

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
If you're a foodie, head to St. John Food & Wine near Spitalfields market. One of the best food experiences I've ever had, with a remarkable lack of pretence and suprisingly low prices (given that it's rated by S. Pellegrino as one of the 50 best restaurants in the world

ville_e

Reaction score
Thanks for all the amazing recommendations!! Please let me know if you have some more.
smile.gif

ville_e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
There are some good recommendations from last fall in here. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=198102
Thanks for the link. Looking forward to hearing some more recommendations. Restaurant list: Nobu Berkeley Square Zafferano San Lorenzo Babbo C London (former Cirpiani) Any recommendations on some interesting stores in the Piccadilly/Mayfair area? Cordings & Dover St. Market spring to mind.. anything else worth visiting?

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on c london and racine if you feel like going off piste then viajante, in east london, is great. nuno, the chef, used to work at el bulli. in the west end liberty is great, selfridges is still good, and from there check out marylebone high street, still a bit of a hidden gem. also in that vicinity i havent visited this place yet but a friend who did raved about it http://www.trunkclothiers.com/

B|aze

Reaction score
I would recommend the Quilon Restaurant near Buckingham pallace. It's an indian restaurant with a michelin star and very reasonably priced. You can get a five course meal with five different beers for £66 and it's fantastic...especially the baked black cod.
I found that The Ivy is very good to but it has some mixed reviews.

You of course have to see some musicals when you're in london. I would recommend
"We will rock you" - a queen musical, "Chicago" and "Stomp" for a fun time

Then I would recommended you to go Camden market (All kind of stuff) and Borough market (food market - only thu-sat)

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For clothes, my recommendations will be the same as everyone else's - the usual suspects lining Jermyn St., the arcades between Jermyn St. and Piccadilly, with the addition of Ede & Ravenscroft in Burlington Gardens, which hadn't been mentioned so far in this thread.

As for museums, the Victoria and Albert always has on interesting shows, and if you're in the area of Jermyn St., the Royal Academy is always worth a visit. For an exquisite hors d'oeuvre of a museum, the Courtauld at Somerset House has a wonderful collection, not large, but very choice - rather like the Frick Collection in NYC, minus the French interiors.

As for restaurants, I've always enjoyed the Criterion in Piccadilly Square, and their pre-theatre set menu is a very good value. For a suited extravaganza, the set menu for lunch at the Ritz is relatively reasonable (note - the operative term is "relative"), but the setting is unparalleled, and the dress code very strictly enforced (jacket and tie for gentlemen at all times). Do note that drinks at the Ritz are where they make their money - alcohol was very costly indeed.

Winot

Reaction score
If you can secure a table in the newly-opened Savoy Grill, then that would be a very special British meal. I would go for the evening to escape the business lunches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads