1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

London recommendations - early Feburary

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ville_e, Jan 17, 2011.

1. gshen

gshen Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Spitalfields Market is a little out of the way, but worth a trip if you have the time. I started with brunch at The Luxe, followed by a walk around the market which had food stores, arty farty types and used stuff. There was an Albam store around also - highly recommend it.

I had a fantastic dinner at St John Bread & Wine, but remember the wine prices to be on the $$ side.

2. chroMe

chroMe Senior member

eats: le relais de venise in the City - before/after try some old boy shopping in/around leadenhall market, cross bishopsgate and walk towards the exchange. More trendier, head to hoxton/shoreditch/spitalfields/bricklane but some nice 'weekend' wear which shows you aren't oap, yet.

Asakusa near Mornington Crescent.
    The Wolseley for late dessert.

3. fox81

fox81 Senior member

how about a trip up to alfie's antiques market, the largest indoor antiques market in the uk.
    also on church st is joel and sons, who carry the largest inventory of fabric in london

also, st johns in smithfields is not the same as st johns in spitafields (even though theyre the same people). you want to eat at the one near smithfields market (farringdon tube).

breakfast at the providores on marylebone high street is also very good.

trunk has lots of monocle/styleforum brands, so its worth a visit if youre in the area, as is the monocle shop.

and whilst youre there, visit the ginger pig for a sausage roll.

4. hst

hst Senior member

how about a trip up to alfie's antiques market, the largest indoor antiques market in the uk.
    also on church st is joel and sons, who carry the largest inventory of fabric in london

What brands/kind of fabric do Joel and Sons carry? How are the prices relative to direct from source like HFW?
    Thanks

5. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Joel carry a very wide range of fabrics but their trade is mostly for women's fashion so many silks, velvets, boucle etc . Their website http://www.joelandsonfabrics.com/home.php shows much. Their woollen fabrics for men's suiting are mostly Italian.

I cannot confirm what their prices are like compared to direct from source but would suspect they are higher.

Alfies has a reasonable cafÃ[​IMG] on the top floor. Not great food but a good place to rest your feet.

In addition to Fox's places in Marylebone La Fromagerie deserves a mention for its cafÃ[​IMG] as well as its cheese. And while you are in the area a visit to the Wallace Collection is a must.

The begining of February is Chinese new year and Time Out is a great place to find out what is going on http://www.timeout.com/london/around...-year-festival

6. fox81

fox81 Senior member

lets make it a marylebone thread.

daunts books on the high st is regarded as one of the best travel book shops in the world. carrying a daunts tote bag trumps even the much coveted monocle tote.

as for fish and chips, seashells on lisson grove has reopened after a much extended refurbishment. frequented by the americani of st johns wood to its north.

dim sum at royal china on baker street is also worth noting, just make sure you go to the correct royal china (its the one closer to oxford st/away from baker st tube)

7. fox81

fox81 Senior member

oh, and for joel and sons, yes its mostly zenga and loro piana but i did see some H&S there once. prices arent really cheap but ive never bought from there, so im not sure how much movement there is on the price. paying retail is for suckers.

8. hst

hst Senior member

lets make it a marylebone thread.

Haha. Not quite sure if it should be a Marylebone thread. I will be in London in mid-Feb, and wonder whether there are good bargains to be had for mc-type accessories (ties, cufflinks, scrafs etc).

9. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

Where should one go for custom made shirts? I'm looking for something close to the Piccaddilly area and smth which is of a good price/quality ratio. Naturally Jermyn Street comes to mind.

10. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

http://www.seanoflynnshirtmaker.co.uk/
    Thanks! I had that in mind! [​IMG] I'm also looking for a tailor-made tweed sportcoat with accompanying vest/waistcoat. What would be the best place to go about making a quality one? Savile Row? Preferably a tailor with a good price/quality ratio. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

11. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

May I suggest Benson and Clegg for a tailor with a good price - quality ratio. They may not have expensive premises but they do good work. There are plenty of others in Soho and Lambs Conduit St who will also fit the bill.

12. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

May I suggest Benson and Clegg for a tailor with a good price - quality ratio. They may not have expensive premises but they do good work. There are plenty of others in Soho and Lambs Conduit St who will also fit the bill.

Thank you Culverwood! Much appreciated.