1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

London recommendations - early Feburary

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ville_e, Jan 17, 2011.

1. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

I have already previously posted a similar thread on London recommendations but I'd greatly appreciate it if you could recommend some interesting shops, restaurants and events, museums etc. (first week of February). Thanks everyone!

2. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

It would be great to hear some updated recommendations! [​IMG]

3. jnm23q

jnm23q Well-Known Member

Shirts
    Hilditch & Key, Emma Willis, Harvie Hudson (Jermyn St)
    Turnbull and Asser (Jermyn St although the staff in the Harrods concession are nicer)
    Kiton (Clifford St) if you want to break the bank
    Harrods and Selfridges have a good range too - Selfridges carry Truzzi, RLPL. Harrods have Zegna Couture and Canali exclusive

Trousers
    Cordings of Piccadilly

Marks and Spencers have some decent suits for £500 made with Zegna fabric

For casual wear try Urban Outfitters at Oxford Circus

Restaurants top end
    Hakkasan (upmarket Chinese / fusion) - NoHo
    Cinnamon Club (modern Indian) - Westminster
    Maze Grill (steak) - Mayfair
    L'anima (Italian) - City

Restaurants mid range
    Busaba (Thai) - chain
    Strada (Italian) - chain

Have fun!

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

James Smith & Son. Such a joy, especially in comparison with the Brigg shop. Lovely folks, and one of the niftiest shops I've ever set foot in.

6. Nogginn

Nogginn Active Member

7. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

Racine is a wonderful French bistro across from the Victoria & Albert Museum and nearby the Natural History Museum (itself a must-see IMO). Racine was Restaurant of the Year runner-up a few years back and I make it a point to return on almost every visit as it represents tremendous quality and value. The roast rabbit leg with mustard sauce is making my mouth water as I write this...

Moti Mahal in Convent Garden is an upmarket Indian establishment right in the theater district. I went there myself for the first time a few months ago on the strong recommendation of my boss (himself an Indian). While you could hike over to Brick Lane for an excellent curry, Moti Mahal retains the culinary authenticity in a much more convenient location, with tasteful decor, a wide range of wine and spirits, and attentive service.

While they don't have a website, Four Seasons on the pedestrian-only Gerrard Street in Chinatown (Leicester Square) is famous for their roasted duck. Produce and seafood is extremely fresh, and the wait staff speak English. I will go here myself when back in London next week. Hakkasan mentioned earlier in the thread is a better option for a night on the town (though reservations are tough), while the focus of Four Seasons is moreso on the food itself, and represents a terrific value.

8. Last Year's Man

Last Year's Man Senior member

If you're a foodie, head to St. John Food & Wine near Spitalfields market. One of the best food experiences I've ever had, with a remarkable lack of pretence and suprisingly low prices (given that it's rated by S. Pellegrino as one of the 50 best restaurants in the world

9. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

Thanks for all the amazing recommendations!! Please let me know if you have some more. [​IMG]

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

11. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

There are some good recommendations from last fall in here. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=198102
    Thanks for the link. Looking forward to hearing some more recommendations. Restaurant list: Nobu Berkeley Square Zafferano San Lorenzo Babbo C London (former Cirpiani) Any recommendations on some interesting stores in the Piccadilly/Mayfair area? Cordings & Dover St. Market spring to mind.. anything else worth visiting?

12. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

+1 on c london and racine if you feel like going off piste then viajante, in east london, is great. nuno, the chef, used to work at el bulli. in the west end liberty is great, selfridges is still good, and from there check out marylebone high street, still a bit of a hidden gem. also in that vicinity i havent visited this place yet but a friend who did raved about it http://www.trunkclothiers.com/

13. B|aze

B|aze Senior member

I would recommend the Quilon Restaurant near Buckingham pallace. It's an indian restaurant with a michelin star and very reasonably priced. You can get a five course meal with five different beers for £66 and it's fantastic...especially the baked black cod.
    I found that The Ivy is very good to but it has some mixed reviews.

You of course have to see some musicals when you're in london. I would recommend
    "We will rock you" - a queen musical, "Chicago" and "Stomp" for a fun time

Then I would recommended you to go Camden market (All kind of stuff) and Borough market (food market - only thu-sat)

14. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

For clothes, my recommendations will be the same as everyone else's - the usual suspects lining Jermyn St., the arcades between Jermyn St. and Piccadilly, with the addition of Ede & Ravenscroft in Burlington Gardens, which hadn't been mentioned so far in this thread.

As for museums, the Victoria and Albert always has on interesting shows, and if you're in the area of Jermyn St., the Royal Academy is always worth a visit. For an exquisite hors d'oeuvre of a museum, the Courtauld at Somerset House has a wonderful collection, not large, but very choice - rather like the Frick Collection in NYC, minus the French interiors.

As for restaurants, I've always enjoyed the Criterion in Piccadilly Square, and their pre-theatre set menu is a very good value. For a suited extravaganza, the set menu for lunch at the Ritz is relatively reasonable (note - the operative term is "relative"), but the setting is unparalleled, and the dress code very strictly enforced (jacket and tie for gentlemen at all times). Do note that drinks at the Ritz are where they make their money - alcohol was very costly indeed.

15. Winot

Winot Senior member

If you can secure a table in the newly-opened Savoy Grill, then that would be a very special British meal. I would go for the evening to escape the business lunches.

16. Not Ed Harris

Not Ed Harris Senior member

If you're coming in early February Heston Blumenthal's new restaurant at the Mandarin Oriental will be open. I'd imagine it'll be very busy though so you might have some difficulty getting a table.

Other restaurants I'd recommend are:
    The Harwood Arms (Michelin starred pub in Fulham)
    Hawksmoor (possibly the best steaks in London)

Viajante in East London looks very interesting as well. Is there any particular sort of food you're thinking of going for?

For shopping you might want to have a look in Old Hat near Putney Bridge. They stock a pretty wide selection of vintage tailoring at fairly low prices.

17. grc1

grc1 Senior member

In town, Arbutus and Wild Honey are two sister restaurants that are very good modern European cuisine. Arbutus is smack in SoHo - went there on Saturday. Just down the street across from the jazz club is a tiny little Italian cafe that is always packed with people, spilling out into the street regardless of the weather. Hint: it's like that for a reason.

In Marylebone, go to Le Relais de Venice for really good French bistro fare - the menu's all the same for everyone. And across the street is the Golden Hind, which serves some of the best fish & chips in London. Caffe Caldesi is also in that area, which is good Italian.

If you can get out to west London (as opposed to the West End, which is still central London) a smidge, check out the River Cafe - Italian food that will make your head spin. Expensive, but worth every penny.

In the East End, go straight to Brick Lane - 24 hours a day, the baegel (yes, that's how they spell it) shop churns out salt beef bagels to die for. You can't miss it for the line that snakes out the store at all hours of the day. Very good Bangladeshi curries in that area, too.

One more recommendation - do a search on Paul A Young chocolates. He has two tiny boutique stores, one north in Camden, and one in the City of London outside the Bank of England. Very easy to miss, but whatever you do, don't come to London and visit his chocolate shop unless you're willing to have everyone else's chocolate taste like rubbish forever after. I'm dead serious - his creations are that good!

18. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

On the above, Arbutus and St John Bread and Wine seconded: both excellent. Wouldn't bother with Criterion: a famous old restaurant and wonderful space that has been fairly well buggerised.
    On other food/drink related options, Borough Market is wonderful though perhaps best avoided on a Saturday afternoon as the crowds are getting farcical: they were dropping tourist coach parties off on my last visit and it's not a big space. Few great boozers (sorry, pubs) around there too: the Market Porter and the Globe in or adjacent to the market itself. And there's The George, on the other side of the Borough High Street and down a bit, which is surely London's most spectacular pub?

Liberty's meanswear dept was a bit smaller than usual due to building work on a recent visit. If you're in Piccadilly, Fortnum and Mason's is worth a schufti.

Try starting at Piccadilly Circus tube, walking down Piccadilly, via Fortnums, to take in Jermyn Street, up Burlington Gdns, into Bond St and Savile Row, onto Selfridges and then, bracing yourself, up Oxford Street to Liberty, then down Regent Street or, if you're all chainstored out, down one of the Soho backstreets like Wardour Street back down towards Piccadilly Circus again. If it's evening when you get done, continue onto Trafalgar Square for a a drink in Albanach (if you like whisky). If you're in a wine mood, try Gordons Wine Bar in Villiers Street (to the left of Charing Cross station), or the Ship and Shovel if you want a beer (an alley of Villiers Street).

British Museum's my favourite, for the building as much as contents. I also enjoy the V&A, the Tates (Modern and Britain, get the boat between them) and the Natural History Museum. Houses of Parliament are worth look though check in advance as access is restricted - you can't just rock up and pay on the door.

On the aimless mooching side of things, the South Bank is probably the best (Westminster to London Bridge - great views and, if you end at London Bridge, there's nice places for the pint you've earned). Also, the parks (St James and Hyde), Soho, Bloomsbury and Fitzrovia (don't miss Lamb's Conduit Street), and Kew Gardens, Greenwich, or Limehouse if you can be arsed travelling out of the centre a bit.

Sorry for droning on: just moved back after six years in Australia and I am enjoying being back here.[​IMG]

19. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

20. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

A lot of great options in this thread. A few of mine:

Budd is a must see, ask to see their selection of cuff links and gloves (best in the city for the price)

W. Bill is a rite of passage for any clothes hound

The Ledbury near Portobello Rd is my favorite restaurant in the city, Helene D at the Connaught is a close second. Both offer outstanding values at lunch - set menus from 30 to 40 gbp.

If you want something distinctly British go to Rules restaurant - it will be filled with tourists but the food is still good and the ambiance is very hard to beat.

Make sure you eat at least one Indian meal during your stay - the food in London is even better than the "real" thing in Mumbai. There are many to choose from...just ask around.

Not sure about what hotel class you are aiming for but if you can swing it stay at Claridges. Otherwise the Royal Park Hotel just north of Hyde Park is a great value.

Have a drink one evening at the Dukes bar at the Dukes hotel or the American bar at the Stafford - both hotels are in St. James and a block away from one another.