• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London museums and galleries

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Making a trip back to England next month for the first time in six years. Have a couple of evenings in London planned and have a day or two to occupy. Would like opinions on the must see museums and galleries and how much time to allow for each.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for something that's new in the last six years?

If not, for obvious starters, you can easily spend half a day each in the British Museum and Victoria and Albert Museum.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Go see the Arnolfini portrait at the National Gallery. It's the best painting in the English speaking world.
arnol.jpg

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
What about the Spanish speaking world? Las Meninas?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I quite enjoyed the Tate Modern. IMO a much better viewing experience than MoMA in NY.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions so far. It's probably closer to ten years since I last went anywhere and even then I probably didn't have quite patience and appreciation that I do now, so all options will be relatively new experiences for me. Tate Modern and British Museum are the first that sprang to mind, but also considering the Saatchi Gallery.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have any interest in military history Churchill's bunker and the Imperial War Museum must be on your list.

mauser

Reaction score
The best part in the museums of London, apart from their total excellence, is that the majority of them are completely free. This enables you to skip everything that is only of vague interest and simply pop in to see your favorite sections of any particular museum. I've had a ball wandering into the British Museum, climbing to the top floor to see the mummies and be out of the museum in less than 30 minutes. And, if feeling like it, going back the next day to do the same.

Cherry-picking, yes, but no major London museum has the feeling that one must walk through every room in order to make the most of the visit.

jcru

Reaction score
It's great there is so much in the arts to see since your last visit! I hope you find helpful my abbreviated list of artful places to visit in London:

Architectural Association
British Library
British Museum
Design Museum
Dover Street Market
National Portrait Gallery
Royal Academy of Art
Saatchi Gallery
Serpentine Gallery
Soane Museum
Tate Britain & Modern
V&A

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to echo those recommending Churchill's bunker/the cabinet war rooms and the V&A. Both excellent, the V&A has something for pretty much anyone.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the Wallace Collection and Sir John Soane's Museum. The Wallace collection is bigger and world class Sir John Soane's small and eccentric.

The Courtauld Gallery does charge but has some iconic Impressionist pieces.

My favourite paintings from any of the National Gallery would be would be the Wilton Diptych or Whistlejacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics