1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

London Lounge Benchmade To Measure

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by brescd01, Dec 18, 2008.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

It cycles between good and bad depending on the people doing most of the posting. At its best, there is a lot of information about tailors etc in various locations. At its worst, which seems to be most of the time nowadays, it is filled with people trying to dress up like old Apparel Arts pictures while calling themselves sir, and complimenting overdone, garish bespoke "commissions" that rival Tom Ford for fit.

Do you remember Uppercase's thread comparing bespoke suits from five or six different English and Neapolitan tailors? One of my favorite threads on any discussion forum ever.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do you remember Uppercase's thread comparing bespoke suits from five or six different English and Neapolitan tailors? One of my favorite threads on any discussion forum ever.
    It is a great forum when Uppercase posts. When Storey Nicholas and his band of Retrocentrics are in charge it pretty much sucks.

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

So if it's Members Only, how do those seeking advice and counsel gain entree into said world?

Just curious.

You have to be sponsored by a current member. Then there is a ritual hazing for which you are advised not to eat for at least 24 hours prior to the ritual. One out of three people make it to full membership, and then there is a hefty annual fee.

Wait...I might have this confused with being able to post something on the SF B&S subforum...let me review my notes.

- B

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

It cycles between good and bad depending on the people doing most of the posting. At its best, there is a lot of information about tailors etc in various locations, and good, reliable information about tailoring and cloth. At its worst, which seems to be most of the time nowadays, it is filled with people trying to dress up like old Apparel Arts pictures while calling themselves sir, and complimenting overdone, garish bespoke "commissions" that rival Tom Ford for fit.

The aristocratic aspirations of some members of the upper middle-class make me laugh very hard so I'll probably browse a little. Technical information is nice but I care very little for "which bespoke tailor is best" type of threads.

5. Soph

Soph Senior member

Isn't everyone on london lounge dressed like a crazy geezer from the 1910s? Why would you trust them with your clothing choices?

[​IMG]

Actually I tend to agree with you. [​IMG] Reminds me of the Titanic movie.

But the fit and quality are solid for them most of the time. It's not quite the Fedora Lounge though as there are some modern pieces and interesting reviews of tailors. But I always get the sense the mob is involved.

6. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

It cycles between good and bad depending on the people doing most of the posting. At its best, there is a lot of information about tailors etc in various locations, and good, reliable information about tailoring and cloth. At its worst, which seems to be most of the time nowadays, it is filled with people trying to dress up like old Apparel Arts pictures while calling themselves sir, and complimenting overdone, garish bespoke "commissions" that rival Tom Ford for fit.
    It's not sir...it's SUH!

7. RJmanbearpig

RJmanbearpig Senior member

The aristocratic aspirations of some members of the upper middle-class make me laugh very hard so I'll probably browse a little. Technical information is nice but I care very little for "which bespoke tailor is best" type of threads.

I find the arriviste snob-cravings less apparent there than on certain other fora. It's a nice place, even if it moves slowly and sometimes has strange undercurrents. When there is serious discussion there by people in the know, it is the best around.

8. voxsartoria

It is a great forum when Uppercase posts.

Uppercase's posts are kickass...most recently, his advice to Bill on trying A&S was full of insight.

- B

9. whacked

whacked Senior member

You're just pissed off Michael Alden or whoever runs that place hasn't created a CE forum yet.

You have to be sponsored by a current member. Then there is a ritual hazing for which you are advised not to eat for at least 24 hours prior to the ritual. One out of three people make it to full membership, and then there is a hefty annual fee.

Wait...I might have this confused with being able to post something on the SF B&S subforum...let me review my notes.

- B

We at B&S allow occasional ramen treats... Otherwise you're spot on.

10. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

Alden's created a new sub Forum where tailors can talk shop and on which Sator nearly came to blows with another Deverentologist but it's only open to members. Worth the price of admission![​IMG] [​IMG]

11. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't like reading posts over there to find out which tailors are better than others, but to see their work and style. It's just fun to see what's out there. No other forum offers as much to browse through in that regard.

But it's true, atrocious things don't get criticized enough. You know your new suit or jacket is underwhelming when it's greeted with silence.

12. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Vox, your unwillingness to cooperate just made me use google were I was subjected to the mental torture that is that text: "The gentlemen members of the London Lounge agree to defend, preserve and perpetuate the cultural heritage embodied in the sartorial arts for future generations. Each member will use his energy, skill and education to render comprehensible the virtues of true elegance and good taste to those who seek advice and counsel. The parameters that define good taste are appreciated within these walls as liberating and not restrictive. Only the complete mastery of these fundamentals can lead to individual expressions of elegance. Within the walls of the London Lounge, all subjects of discussion and debate that permit a greater understanding of the bespoke apparel arts are encouraged. They shall be conducted vigorously but with the respect and courtesy befitting Gentlemen. Join us, the inspired champions of an ancient ideal, that of Good Taste! "
    You have to take this oath directly to the site's owner.

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Alden's created a new sub Forum where tailors can talk shop and on which Sator nearly came to blows with another Deverentologist but it's only open to members. Worth the price of admission![​IMG] [​IMG]

I just saw a few of Sator's post and he's as insane there as he is here and still doesn't know what "haute couture" means but insist on using the term.

14. voxsartoria

You have to take this oath directly to the site's owner.

Plus you have to hold a full pail of water in each hand with arms extended for at least an hour.

- B

15. sfo423

sfo423 Senior member

Yeah, might be that. What is London lounge then?

A place where some think American's are poorly dressed, unsophisticated, under-educated posers.

nowadays, it is filled with people trying to dress up like old Apparel Arts pictures while calling themselves sir, and complimenting overdone, garish bespoke "commissions" that rival Tom Ford for fit.

What he said. [​IMG]

I love it when people like to type sentence as if are so sophisticated and uppity they look down on Prince Charles; "I dialed Pemberton this glorious morning to discuss the latest in exquisite fabrics from the new glorious twelfth book. As you know Pemberton is jolly chap that always assists me when I commission a new garment...." [​IMG]

16. voxsartoria

A place where some think American's are poorly dressed, unsophisticated, under-educated posers.

We're not?

I love it when people like to type sentence as if are so sophisticated and uppity they look down on Prince Charles; "I dialed Pemberton this glorious morning to discuss the latest in exquisite fabrics from the new glorious twelfth book. As you know Pemberton is jolly chap that always assists me when I commission a new garment...." [​IMG]

Pemberton created the Tom Ford look, so let's give him some respect, shall we?

- B

17. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

"I wouldn't get a Kiton if you paid me money for one. They are greatest waste of wardrobe space I could imagine. Eating out at chain restaurants (the culinary equivalent of MTM - fast food being RTW), because you always know what the food you will get will taste like, no matter where you are, is a poor solution. A fine chef with a creative imagination will always cook you up something immeasurably more inspiring."

18. voxsartoria

"I wouldn't get a Kiton if you paid me money for one. They are greatest waste of wardrobe space I could imagine. Eating out at chain restaurants (the culinary equivalent of MTM - fast food being RTW), because you always know what the food you will get will taste like, no matter where you are, is a poor solution. A fine chef with a creative imagination will always cook you up something immeasurably more inspiring."

There is nothing fresher nor more illuminating than food:clothing analogies.

In my opinion, a jacket is somewhat roast beef, but pants are more roast turkey.

And shoes? Belgian endive (that one's for you, Despos.)

- B

19. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

...but many fine chefs would get the old cleaver out if they were asked to improvise around another's receipt.... I even recall, once, ordering an over-late breakfast in an hotel restaurant and the consequential clattering of pans and screaming in the kitchen led me to flee for my life.... and settle (gratefully enough, it must be said), for a Cafe Rouge baguette...

20. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

...but many fine chefs would get the old cleaver out if they were asked to improvise around another's receipt.... I even recall, once, ordering an over-late breakfast in an hotel restaurant and the consequential clattering of pans and screaming in the kitchen led me to flee for my life.... and settle (gratefully enough, it must be said), for a Cafe Rouge baguette...

Pedantry in motion, err I mean poetry.