• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London Living

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Searched the archives, but was not able to find anything on this topic.

I have a shot at a position based in London (City). I'm trying to put together a sense of budget and neighborhoods.

Would appreciate advice on decent areas to live and ideas on rent ranges.

Notes:
I do not want to have a car

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Searched the archives, but was not able to find anything on this topic.

I have a shot at a position based in London (City). I'm trying to put together a sense of budget and neighborhoods.

Would appreciate advice on decent areas to live and ideas on rent ranges.

Notes:
I do not want to have a car

What exactly do you want to know?

Everything depends onwhat you want. Standard of accomodation, types of restaurants, type of bar, etc...

K

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
What exactly do you want to know?

Everything depends onwhat you want. Standard of accomodation, types of restaurants, type of bar, etc...

K

I don't have a frame of reference, but let me try.

studio or 1 bedroom flat, 55-90 sq meters. young professional neighborhood.

Something like Chicago's Lincoln Park

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Park,_Chicago

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
^Where the hell have you been hiding at???

Who? What? Huh?

Originally Posted by countdemoney
I don't have a frame of reference, but let me try.

studio or 1 bedroom flat, 55-90 sq meters. young professional neighborhood.

Something like Chicago's Lincoln Park

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Park,_Chicago

I've never been to Lincoln Park, but I'd figure mid 300s to mid 400s per week for a decent 1 bedroom in most parts of town that would be appealing to young professionals earning a decent wage. I guess you can get down to low 3s / high 2s if you live in Dalston or something...

K

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.propertyinvesting.net/cgi...mmand=viewonex London population density maps, postcode maps, health maps, tube maps, train maps, road maps. etc. etc. Had a mate who lived in EC1, seemed to be quite a lot of young professionals around there (his wife is a risk manager for GS). But I've not lived in London for over twenty years so a bit rusty...

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent responses. Thanks.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Who? What? Huh?
Never see you around the What Did You Do Last Night thread any more. Or anywhere else for that matter.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can take a look at Foxtons (foxtons.co.uk). They are the shysters of the property market, but they are big so it gives you an idea of what rental prices are like in different parts of town.

I live in Primrose Hill and love it. Depending on what you like you can also think about Notting Hill, Maida Vale, Chelsea, Kensington, Clerkenwell, Islington / Angel, Clapham, etc...

Each has its own merits.

K

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Never see you around the What Did You Do Last Night thread any more. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Yea, I guess I've been busy lately.

For what its worth, I would have been rolling pretty hard this summer!

K

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can take a look at Foxtons (foxtons.co.uk). They are the shysters of the property market, but they are big so it gives you an idea of what rental prices are like in different parts of town.

I live in Primrose Hill and love it. Depending on what you like you can also think about Notting Hill, Maida Vale, Chelsea, Kensington, Clerkenwell, Islington / Angel, Clapham, etc...

Each has its own merits.

K

If you live in Notting Hill you might run in to Julia Roberts.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I moved from NYC to London, living expense is definitely higher here (raw ingridents are cheaper though), no idea about Chicago, been there but never lived there.

You will be working in Bank or Canary Wharf? I looked at 3 location after I moved here, Angel/London Bridge/Canary Wharf. Decided against Canary Wharf pretty fast, Angel is better, but also more expensive and longer commute than London Bridge. I have friends who live in Waterloo for quite a bit less than I what I pay. Also you can always live in Mayfair, all depends on how much you want to pay. How much you want to spend is probably the first thing you should really ask.

Honestly though it doesn't really matter where you stay, it's better to stay in a ****** area but where your friends are than a nice neighborhood where you don't know anyone (slightly exaggerating). Of course if you came here without knowing anyone (my case), then it doesn't really matter.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know Chicago that well ... but I'd imagine the living expenses of London are greater. Of course, the opportunity to live in London makes up for just about any sacrifice.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loving all the advice so far. I've also lived in San Francisco if that's more helpful for anyone.

I know I'm going to pay substantially more for less. Just trying to get a baseline for what I will get. As with any big city, it's always possible to pay more.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Until recently I considered the Bay Area my permanent residence ... and London is more expensive.

As for living in London -- as with New York -- from my perspective it is best enjoyed by those who are younger (20s, 30s, 40s). After a certain point in time -- and I've reached that point -- one must be truly wealthy to enjoy it. This is why I'm giving up on both London & New York.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads