• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London interview attire?

lhooq

Reaction score
Does anyone have a sense of how appropriate interview dress for a trainee solicitorship at a London magic circle law firm might differ from appropriate dress in New York? I know that the Brits are a bit more adventurous in their business attire, but is a navy 3-button suit, plain black captoes, white shirt, and burgundy tie still the best way to go in London?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, definitely wear black shoes! I think a blue shirt & red tie is also a sure fire winner. Stick to deep colours for your ties, pinstripe is also favoured heavily.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the british obsession with black shoes, will people look at you funny if you wear darker brown shoes with dark grey or navy?

Optimas

Reaction score
I got into ibanking in London despite wearing brown shoes for my interviews, so I would not be too concerned. Most people registered here are probably much better dressed than anyone likely to interview you, I would be more concerned with finding sensible answers to likely questions.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
What's the british obsession with black shoes, will people look at you funny if you wear darker brown shoes with dark grey or navy?

Living in society means to live with each other. And it is some kind of annoying if EVERYBODY means to be very special because of wearing some kind of brown shoes. Black shoes are a sign for integrity. Integrity is the base for sucess.

LeonM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur

Yes they will.
Wear a double cuff/ french cuff shirt.

Leon

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads