• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London Hotel Recommendation

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife will be in London in late October for a few days. We will be doing general running around-museums some shopping, etc.

Any recommendations for a good value in a hotel? Is under $250 available for a double?

Also, any Style Forum approved (non- bespoke) places I should add to my itinerary? So far on my list I have Bentley's on Walton St., Dover Street Market, Rubinacci for a Pocket square.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stayed at the Hilton Trafalgar - great location, modern/trendy hotel w/ great bar. Not sure if it would be quite in that budget or not, but it should be close. I stayed on points.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check some of the online discounters.

I once got a five star in Holborn, £10 for a double!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I stayed at the Hilton Trafalgar - great location, modern/trendy hotel w/ great bar. Not sure if it would be quite in that budget or not, but it should be close. I stayed on points.
Great location. Weekday rates are USD $ 450 and weekend $USD $320. Was hoping for something a bit less, but location and the fact it is London, not sure if I can do much better. Any other suggestions?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get into the Mayfair for about $350-400, standard right now. They may give you a break if you call them. Excellent service. It's at the other end down Picadilly from Trafalgar towards Hyde Park. Great location.

Just on price, dunno about the hotel but the location is close-in, the Holiday Inn in Mayfair. Probably around $250 a night for starters.

If you're willing to ride the tube just a few minutes, you can get rooms around Earl's Court for $150-200 a night.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for things to see? It has been 3 years since our last visit.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Tate Modern
Eat at the River Cafe
Borough Market

Young Pro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Tate Modern
Eat at the River Cafe
Borough Market

+1 on the Borough market. If you're looking for stuff to take with you and cook, weekends are best. If you're looking for things to eat on the spot, Friday is best. There's also a great little pub right in the market that stocks something like 300 different beers. Tiny little place (seating for 10-12 tops), but has a small patio outside, and everyone else just spills onto the street. The name escapes me, maybe someone else can help.

PoloPlayr

Reaction score
I know you can get great discounts online - not groundbreaking info but rarely makes sense booking directly through the hotel.

Restaurants:

Scott's
Arbutus
The Wolseley
J.Sheekey
The Pantechnicon
Yauatcha

Happy to provide more if you'd like.

Need recommendations for bars or anything else, do let me know.

As for Dover Street Market, I always thought that was more for girls? or trendy guys. I could be wrong though!

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joel Antunes just opened a London restaurant. I'm sure it's awesome.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try these discounters: http://www.hotels-london.co.uk/ http://www.hoteldirect.co.uk/london/ The Westbury at £169 if available seems within your price range for a very central 4/5 star hotel. I would only bother with Dover St Market if you are staying around the corner - super trendy fashion stuff. Food - I like Ceccioni's and Le Caprice but I am shallow. I always recommend the Wallace Collection and it has a decent cafÃ
00a9.png
plus good shopping close by on Marylebone High Street: Gaunt Books, La Fromagerie, Skandium, Ginger Pig etc http://www.marylebonevillage.com/en/marylebone-village/

deaddog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
You can get into the Mayfair for about $350-400, standard right now. They may give you a break if you call them. Excellent service. It's at the other end down Picadilly from Trafalgar towards Hyde Park. Great location.

Another vote for the Mayfair (which is now run by Radisson). Fantastic location, convenient to Tube, large (for London), modern and clean rooms in an historic building. Last year we emailed direct and got better rates than the website and they threw in an excellent breakfast.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stayed at St. Martin's Lane hotel (Morgan's Hotel group...founded by the guy who did Studio 54) and it was pretty sweet both in layout and location. Has Bungelow 8 downstairs and a swanky restaurant upstairs. Lots of fun if that's your scene.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads