• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London Fashion

leonidas

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Ok so this is my first post, and I basically created this account to ask this question. I live in Australia, but I leave to go away to London in about 8 hours. I thought I'd spend some money when I'm over there and get myself some new clothes. So for the last week I've been online checking out what styles and trends are happening in Summer for you guys in the Northern Hemisphere and all that (since we are one season behind you guys down here). What I've noticed is that what you guys think of certain brands is different to how they are percieved over here (for example many people belittle Abercrombie but in Aus its pretty "cool" because its not avaliable here - its popular in America and rare in Australia). This could be because we are isolated in Australia, or we are generally ignorant (probably the latter).

In any case, now I'm confused as to what I should be buying in London. I've heard Riverisland and Topshop are good but then its pretty much on par with Abercrombie from what I can tell. So when I'm in London, what should I be buying? Any brands I should avoid? What information should I be armed with? Does anyone have any suggestions or specific clothes? For reference I have about 400 pounds or a bit more.

I'd search some more but I'm pretty busy unfortunately (and yeah I realise I left this post a bit late). Thankfully I'll have the net when I arrive in GB so I'll check this up again when I get there and just before I leave Aus. You guys seem like nice people so i'm sure you can help me out
smile.gif

Thanks in Advance

sloaney

Reaction score
You're in luck! You have great sales and good weather awaiting you. Just go to Jermyn Street and pick up some nice shirts from Hilditch & Key, Harvie & Hudson, etc. For casual wear, I like Hackett a lot. Paul Smith I think is good too. Polo Ralph Lauren is held in high regard here. They have the British version of Abercrombie called 'Jack Wills' which I think is rather lame, to be honest. Burberry is not highly regarded here. I would avoid Topshop and River Island - they are basically London's version of GAP. Money much better spent picking up nice shirts from Jermyn Street in my opinion. You may also wish to buy a pair of English shoes.....

Ginge2000

Reaction score
You will find alot of interesting and independent clothing stores tucked in the back streets in and around the Covent Garden area.
Jermyn street is very good but I dont think you will get to much for your budget.
Enjoy.

tommib

Reaction score
Hello! I would recommend a trip to Selfridges just because its good fun, and there's two Ralph Lauren concessions in there - I would certainly get a polo shirt or two. You're bound to see loads of other things you like although its all quite pricey in the department stores. Liberty on Regent Street is well worth a visit - it has a much smaller menswear department but most of it is well selected, plus they make cool ties and shirts. Carnaby Street behind Liberty has a tiny Fred Perry shop (two bigger ones in Covent Garden) and various other small shops, although not that great in my opinion. Harrods - go just to have a look around but its pretty much the same as Selfridges for clothes. I would not recommend Hacket, its typically worn by English private school boys, might as well get Ralph Lauren, way cooler. River Island is horrible but the London Topman has some alright stuff in for good prices - plain and stripey t-shirts etc. Other than those big quite obvious places I think you'll have fun just browsing Oxford Street and Covent Garden etc. http://www.streetsensation.co.uk/oxford/os_intro.htm

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leonidas
This could be because we are isolated in Australia, or we are generally ignorant (probably the latter).

funny never thought of aussies that way.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys seem like nice people so i'm sure you can help me out
smile.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

royal618

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
What I've noticed is that what you guys think of certain brands is different to how they are percieved over here (for example many people belittle Abercrombie but in Aus its pretty "cool" because its not avaliable here - its popular in America and rare in Australia). This could be because we are isolated in Australia, or we are generally ignorant (probably the latter).

Abercrombie is cool in Australia? Then again, how many people think General Pants is cool here in Aus? Too many. Too many with no idea and a sheep mentality unfortunately.
crazy.gif

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to H&M

lots of bang for the buck there

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads