1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

London briefcase repair?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oleg, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

One of the rivets that fixes the handle to the body of my geriatric briefcase has sheared off. Anybody know of a possible repairer? Tried a local cobbler to no avail and the luggage repair places I've checked online seem to be geared to fixing modern, nylon luggage - new zips, tears, etc. Might better cobblers be a better bet? I've not resorted to trailing the bag round all the central ones in the hope that one might - trailing it anywhere without a functioning handle is an arse.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Lear

Lear Senior member

I took this ancient briefcase to a little shop in Camden. I can't remember the name. Sorry. They replaced the handle with a pretty good match. It isn't of SAB quality, but good enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Come out of Camden Town underground. Stay on the same side and walk north, up towards the market etc. It's next to (or on?) the little hump-backed bridge. The English National Opera have/had a lot of stuff made/repaired by them. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Lear (Sawf Lahndahn innit)

Edit: Hope it wasn't gutted by those fires a couple of years ago.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  3. landshark

landshark Senior member

The exact same thing happened to one of my briefcases. It cost me $10 at a leather repair shop to fix.

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

The fixings on Lear's bag look similar to mine so Camden it is. Thank you very much indeed, gentlemen.

6. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

Update: Gohil's haven't done repairs for a long time, apparently.
    After a fair bit of ringing around, I ended up taking it to Hoxton Shoe Repairs along with a pair of Loakes in need of new soles and heels.
    Have to say, I'm delighted with them. Really nice, helpful place and quick: left the bag and shoes late afternoon on Friday and had a text from them on Monday afternoon saying all was ready to collect. Bag's had a nice brass rivet put on to hold the handle in place which looks better quality than the originals--if any others go, I think I'll get them to replace the lot--and he's done what looks a great job on the Loakes.
    It's a bit out of my way for me but I reckon it's worth the trek from Harrow on the Hill to Old Street. Besides which, it's a good excuse to go for pho a short walk away on the Kingsland Road or a drink amongst the 'Hoxton Twats'.
    http://www.hoxtonshoerepairs.co.uk

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  7. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

For general reference, I have had two briefcases repaired by the Martin Ashworth and have been happy with the results. You have to be prepared to use the post, though: http://www.mlworkshop.co.uk/

8. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Dont know this chap but he looks very good, good find.

Charlie