• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London briefcase repair?

Oleg

Reaction score
One of the rivets that fixes the handle to the body of my geriatric briefcase has sheared off. Anybody know of a possible repairer? Tried a local cobbler to no avail and the luggage repair places I've checked online seem to be geared to fixing modern, nylon luggage - new zips, tears, etc. Might better cobblers be a better bet? I've not resorted to trailing the bag round all the central ones in the hope that one might - trailing it anywhere without a functioning handle is an arse.
Thanks in advance.

Lear

Reaction score
I took this ancient briefcase to a little shop in Camden. I can't remember the name. Sorry. They replaced the handle with a pretty good match. It isn't of SAB quality, but good enough.

Come out of Camden Town underground. Stay on the same side and walk north, up towards the market etc. It's next to (or on?) the little hump-backed bridge. The English National Opera have/had a lot of stuff made/repaired by them. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Lear (Sawf Lahndahn innit)

Edit: Hope it wasn't gutted by those fires a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The exact same thing happened to one of my briefcases. It cost me $10 at a leather repair shop to fix.

Oleg

Reaction score
The fixings on Lear's bag look similar to mine so Camden it is. Thank you very much indeed, gentlemen.

Oleg

Reaction score
Update: Gohil's haven't done repairs for a long time, apparently.
After a fair bit of ringing around, I ended up taking it to Hoxton Shoe Repairs along with a pair of Loakes in need of new soles and heels.
Have to say, I'm delighted with them. Really nice, helpful place and quick: left the bag and shoes late afternoon on Friday and had a text from them on Monday afternoon saying all was ready to collect. Bag's had a nice brass rivet put on to hold the handle in place which looks better quality than the originals--if any others go, I think I'll get them to replace the lot--and he's done what looks a great job on the Loakes.
It's a bit out of my way for me but I reckon it's worth the trek from Harrow on the Hill to Old Street. Besides which, it's a good excuse to go for pho a short walk away on the Kingsland Road or a drink amongst the 'Hoxton Twats'.
http://www.hoxtonshoerepairs.co.uk

Last edited:

Balfour

Reaction score
For general reference, I have had two briefcases repaired by the Martin Ashworth and have been happy with the results. You have to be prepared to use the post, though: http://www.mlworkshop.co.uk/

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

For general reference, I have had two briefcases repaired by the Martin Ashworth and have been happy with the results.  You have to be prepared to use the post, though:  http://www.mlworkshop.co.uk/

Dont know this chap but he looks very good, good find.

Charlie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads